Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced leather e-brake boot

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced leather e-brake boot

When I bought my Disco, it looked clean but the e-brake boot "leather" was all cracked and gross. Diff Lock shifter boot is in better shape, but on the way to being gross too.
User gschmitt sells vinyl replacement boots for e-brake and diff lock shifters for about $20 shipped (dealer wants $120).
I did my parking brake boot last night. Started with liquid super glue, which is difficult on fabric. Then realized that a hot glue gun would be perfect for the inside of the vinyl's fabric. I messed up one side, so I ripped it apart and reapplied (which can't happen with super glue). Also, hot glue will not crack with heat like super glue can.
Great product, likely to do the diff lock shifter tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Replaced leather e-brake boot-photo-mar-29-8-02-18-am.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how did you get the e brake boot off?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boot attaches to the console with a wire frame. I didn't get a picture of it, but it is a rectangle with a rocker on it (think the rockers on the bottom of a rocking chair). As you pinch the two ends closer together, the rocker bends and allows the rectangle to be pulled out of the rectangular hole. Remove there first, and then you will end up turning the boot inside out to free the side closest to the handle. The handle isn't removed on the e-brake to replace the boot. Once inside out, you will see that there is a thick O ring that attaches around the boot, which fits in a groove around the handle, before turning right side out.
Here is a picture of the under side of the diff lock shifter that I did last night, with the old leather still on it.
You can see that these clips face outward, so the best way to pull this out is by squeezing the sides together to free the clips. Do this first, and then unscrew the **** once the boot is free to twist.
and here is a shot of it after it was completed.

While the shifter boot was off, I took the shifting indicator off so that I could clean the area covered by the rubber mat, and clean the mat itself.
To remove the shifter, I put my truck in neutral and depressed the shifter button while pulling straight up. I had heard a lot of talk about hitting one's self in the face, so I pulled away from my head and it came off fairly easily. The shifting indicator was a bit more difficult, but it came straight up.

It has vertical guides that have ridges on them to keep the indicator in place. Like a track with the ridges on a zip tie, kind of. Anyway, pulling straight up cannot break them. The mode button has a connector that I couldn't figure out very easily, so I left it connected while I cleaned.

I took the rubber mat inside and used a tooth brush and warm water to clean the whole thing. I used baby wipes (closest thing I could find) to clean the hard plastic area under the mat. Also could move the shifting indicator shroud freely (the flat part that moves along with the shifter like a treadmill track) so I moved that back and forth to get all of the gunk off of it.
It looks like a brand new truck, so glad I did it.

The following users liked this post:
LandyMatt (10-16-2015)