Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement speakers for front door on my D2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default replacement speakers for front door on my D2

not looking to go crazy or change the amp or head unit around just need to replace the two mids in the front doors. anyone have any links to something that will fit in both width and depth and work properly without making me go broke? linx please. thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same question actually. mine arent broken, but im looking for a really good sounding upgrade, that also fits. links please!

sorry for sorta hijacking your thread by the way

Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm gonna throw an oar in the water here and say "I need the same thing you need; hope we get an answer" doesn't constitute a thread-jacking. :-)

Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this: http://www.roverconnection.com/Disco...r_Tweeter.html

But you need to call for prices; good luck.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say the only problem you all may run into is the mounting depth, there is nothing like buying a nice set of speakers only for them to hit the window. there are a few companies out there that sell spacer rings however the factory trim ring for the D1 has an extended part near the door handle. I have been considering modifying mine, but not sure how I want to do it yet. I would say the easiest way would be to put the spacer over the original plastic ring then mark and cut the original plastic ring and replace it with the aftermarket spacer (glued to the extension piece). If the cosmetics of doing that would be a concern you could always get some thin grill cloth (or some other fairly thin black cloth) to cover the whole assembly. I am not sure about the impedance of the speakers but I would think the mid on the door and the tweeter are 8 ohms each. On the D1 they are wired together in parallel and total 4 ohms. If you were to go with a lower impedance speaker you will draw more power from the amp, which will in theory provide more volume, however it will compromise the quality of the sound (however this shouldn't be to noticeable but your amp will have to work harder which could eventually cause damage)

If anyone is interested in this idea or some other ones I have been considering let me know and I will try to offer more assistance.

here is a link to a set of spacers, not sure how far the factory rings stand off.
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...d/0/rid/123284

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-02-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

after looking at a door panel on a D2, the speaker setup is quite different (I didn't think they were that different), I would have to see some pictures of the speakers in the door to give a suggestion.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a blown speaker (mid) on my DII. Crutchfield.com has a deal right now on some nice Kicker 6.5" speakers for $39.99. (have to add to cart to see price) which are usually $80-100 (here in ATL @ bestbuy)

I've ordered them, and will let you know how they fit. According to those guys, they just drop in.......we'll see.

- DC

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah.... i was hoping rover chris would chime in... i ran into a similar problem with the gate speakers. i had to take the sawzall to the gate opening because the magnets were too wide. the stock harmon kardon magnets were small as hell. so now im worried about ordering the mids for the front. but i need to do something they are driving me nuts as both are blown and i can't listen to any talk radio without thinking about how i want to just yank the wheel and destroy some kid in his honda civic that is blinding me with HID's....

Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
but i need to do something they are driving me nuts as both are blown and i can't listen to any talk radio without thinking about how i want to just yank the wheel and destroy some kid in his honda civic that is blinding me with HID's....
hah, the rattle in my door/window when the bass is heavy gives me the same emotion.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Since new speakers all up front is one of the things I'm going to have to do fairly soon, I'm glad to see this thread heated up. Tnx.

Quick Reply: replacement speakers for front door on my D2