Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement speakers for front door on my D2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well on a side note, I would like to do a set of nice components to replace the fronts all together. I am almost positive that a set of 6 1/2" alpine type R's wont fit (even if I cut the door) so I was considering building my own spacer (out of fiberglass) that will not only bring the speakers out far enough, but also aim them a little more toward the middle of the vehicle instead of just at each other. I was originally thinking about kick panels but I think this idea would be better considering the seats sit so high.

similar to the one in the picture however I would put mine where the stock speaker is near the top of the door and my tweeter would stay where it is (however I may fiberglass the tweeter mount in the A post as well)

Attached Thumbnails replacement speakers for front door on my D2-doorspeaker.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Chris that is far more advanced than I am capable of! i am hoping to find a snap in replacement. i am going to take one out and measure it and start my search. right now i only need the mids replaced but i will eventually do all three in the front then work my way back to the rear doors.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Baja

my main problem was the PO had hooked up an amp and a subwoofer box and a lot of the speakers paid the price. the gate subs cones were blown completley off.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

don't forget there is always wood! not sure how you are with a jigsaw and some sand paper but it really isn't that tough to make your own spacer, a few coats of polyurethane and some high gloss paint will make it look real nice. I have made some of those for quite a few vehicles and they came out real nice, and only takes a few hours if you rush it a bit.

I have a really good method for making these look really nice if anyone is interested!

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-02-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used crutchfeild in the past. They only sell what fits when you search for your model. Plus, they include all the adapters for what you have.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bBaxacn...car/mycar.aspx
This was a search for my truck and what fit. 2000 D2 factory stereo with Harmon Kardon stereo.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Crutchfield sells decent products at decent prices but I wouldn't rely on them to provide you with what fits your vehicle, almost everyone on here that has purchased a radio from them got the wrong harness, but according to them that's the one that "fits" our trucks! you would be much better off asking someone on here for that info (or taking your own measurements) and then deciding on the brand and product line from there website, and just for a heads up as far as sizes go, pretty much all manufacturers offer a speaker in almost all of the common sizes.

Mounting depth is the big one, because the computer software they use does not generally provide this info for most vehicles (I know because I used to use the same system at Best Buy)

Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Baja

yeah their website is pretty crap it says everything fits. i'm gonna pop and measure myself and then see whats available. if im gonna do the mid's i might as well do the lows as i will have to pull the door panel off to get to the mids and after 10 years of abuse i'm sure the lows could use some lovin. anyone else interested you can find the directions in the RAVE on page 76-1-8

Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what price range any of you guys are looking at, but Focal has two sets that would probably fit great. The only speakers I have found that match DII's sizes are made by Focal, Once I get my cosmetic disasters in order, I plan on getting one set of 165A3 ($449 -- comes with sub for ft door, mids on ft door and tweeters for a posts), but I will also have to order a set of A post pillars without the H/K tweeter cutouts. For the back door, they have set 165A1 ($299 with a 6.5" sub and 1 3/4" tweeter, wich is only 1/4" smaller than the existing tweeter. I wish I could get this stuff on to show you guys, but I still have a ton of exterior cosmetics that I can't keep looking at to deal with first. Hope this helps one of you, at least.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:11 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So has anyone figured out the exact measurements (depth) of the mid-ranges? My front pass mid cracks at higher vollumes... So i'm looking to get something that can put out some good watts and give a good kick; cuz i like my bass, but I'm not into rap, just to clear that up lol. I know this is a year old thread, but i'm sure someone knows the specs off the top of their head :P that rhymed. Maybe i could be a rapper... haha j/k O.o