Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing '03D2 Motor - 4.6 RR or Refurb 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I would highly suggest the TD5 for $10k, that's a great deal if done right.
I would agree with this whole heartedly if the words "guinea pig" were not in there. I would have to trust a mechanic a lot to be their first diesel conversion and feel everything would work in the end.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

get a second option on your engine before dumping that kind of money.
it looks like this guy is going to charge you $2500.00 to R&R one of GPR motors, that is crazy money.
shop around it's one days work. Unless the 2500.00 includes all new parts, such as waterpump, radiator, tstat, tuneup parts, belt, clutch fan its to much.

Last edited by drowssap; 03-20-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Just curious, there must be a story why your 03 has a 4.0 in it...

I was thinking the same thing.......

Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Hmmm. If your mechanic thinks your 2003 D2 has a 4.0 in it, then he isn't the guy to handle a diesel conversion. Your truck came with a 4.6 in it. Unless it wasted the original motor (very possible in an 03) and someone replaced it with a 4.0.

If you're going to consider a diesel conversion, be prepared to be without your truck for a long time, be ready to look at a check engine light on the dash (unless it's taped over), and be prepared to choose where you live based on how they perform vehicle inspections. The change will make your vehicle illegal so anywhere that looks under the hood or plugs into the OBD port will fail you.
Td5 is the correct engine for d2. If done correctly, there will be no check engine light. Also there is an odb2 port, though I have no idea what would happen if someone tried to take it somewhere to smog it.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sort of fuel efficiency can you get out of the Td5?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My mechanic in Alabama charges $400 for an engine swap. Top notch work too!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jljde
What sort of fuel efficiency can you get out of the Td5?
20+mpg

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
20+mpg
I am assuming you have first hand experience with the RN fleet? Does the TD5 have plenty of torque?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have yet to drive an auto TD5, but my lord the TD5 smokes! The TD5 with an R380 has some serious *power

*for a Land Rover.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

i have some thoughts on this as a new owner of a Disco 4.

one caviat to everything i about to say. None of what i am about to do to my truck makes fiscal sense in terms of resale. I'm making modifications to my truck because the Disco 2 is a great platform for my intended use, which is to build a vehicle that i can go overlanding with.

ok so that said, If you live in Oregon and Washington, there is a growing number of owners who have success installing 300TDI's into Disco 2's. Lamorna Garage in Ballard, Seattle are doing it. Gordon also offered to install a TD5 if i wanted, it'd be more expensive, but in some ways an easier install. I was looking at the upgraded version of the 300TDI, the 2.8 that DiscoTech sells (vancouver BC) amongst others.

The TD5 however, is close to a bolt in job and you'll have the added advantage that all of the electronics will still work. (and you get to run biodiesel )

After much deliberation (coz i really want a Diesel!), i am not going this route for the powerplant for my truck for two reasons - Firstly there's a good chance that my wife may want to leave the beautiful PAC NW in 2-3 years (she's originally from upstate NY and spent 10 years in the Bay area), there's just no way that I'd want to risk building my perfect truck and then be forced to sell it due to relocation.

Secondly, i'm not as confident that i could find "indie" servicing for the TD5 if i'm somewhere remote in north america, it's a more complicated powerplant. With a young family, i can't afford to get stuck.

So for my application, I've reluctantly settled on finding a higher quality build of our trusty V8. My local indie (jahn @RovinRovers in Seattle) is talking to a few different engine builders. One of the motors is a 5.0, the other increased in size to 5.2, which is my understanding to be the maximum size limit for our venerable pushrod V8.

So far we've looked at Toddco & Great Plains here in the US, Turner and Real Steel. If anyones interested, i'll update back once the build is underway.

In terms of what my goals are for the project, given that cost is not necessarily a driving factor, we're attempting to build a "bulletproof" Overlander, addressing as many of the points of weakness that our trucks are infamous for as possible. I actually look at the Disco platform as being a fantastic starting point for this type of project. It's more comfortable for the family than a Defender, with a very low entry price point for the capability that you can get.

That said, keep us posted on the TD5 swap, or give Gordon at Lamorna Garage in Seattle a call. When i last spoke with him, all he was doing was TDI swaps into V8 Rovers due to high demand.

Quick Reply: Replacing '03D2 Motor - 4.6 RR or Refurb 4.0?