Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Coils on SAI engine - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
while you're in there, pull the baffle out of the vent tube in the passenger side rocker cover. replace it with the fram fv308 purge control valve.
You mean this guy?

Old 01-03-2019, 04:16 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

that's where the new piece goes, but you also have to remove the baffle in the passenger side rocker cover (as i said above). it should be inside the pipe that the other end of that hose. the exact configuration of the baffle will depend on the year of your truck.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK thanks. This job is increasingly looking like something I won't want to do on the street, haha.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 PM
TReK

i certainly wouldn't try to do all of it in a single day on a brooklyn street in winter unless you know exactly what you're doing. i'm in staten island and have the luxury of a driveway, but even so i would set aside an entire weekend at minimum -- including periodic breaks to thaw out and trips to the auto parts store for bits you didn't realise you would need -- and i've had the intake off several times.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I would estimate 1 hr for the intake removal and coil pack swap. 10 minutes for the valve cover baffle. Add 1 more hour for injectors. Make sure you put new o-rings on the new injectors and lubricate them.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 PM
TReK

i've taken my intakes off seven or eight times. i don't know that i could do it in an hour until about the fourth time. the first few i seemed to remove bits that could be left alone. still, it isn't really a huge job. two hours at the absolute maximum.
getting the coil pack bracket off, swapping the coils, and re-mounting the bracket i would allow at least an hour. i climb up into the engine bay to do this. make sure you have good lighting and a telescoping magnet to grab the bolts when (not if) you drop them.
the valve cover baffle -- 10 minutes if it's an early style and it comes out easily in one piece. i just did my '03 and had to drill the thing out, which means removing the cover entirely. (i was doing head gaskets so they were coming off anyway.) on my '99 the baffle broke into several pieces and would have fallen into the rocker cavity if the cover had still been on the engine. so you're potentially looking at an hour or so there too, plus needing a new valve cover gasket and a deep 12-point socket for those stupid bolts.
injectors, yes, an hour. i got refurbs off ebay and they seem great. $65 for the set and i didn't have to return the cores.
reassembly from the injectors upwards i would allow two hours. you're going to get cold and you'll start to drop stuff. (i just spent two hours under my truck bolting the oil pan back on and reinstalling the thermostat. i didn't even get to put the drag link back because my hands stopped working properly.)

the biggest thing i can recommend is that you have everything you need in hand before you start. that's tools, rags, gloves, cleaners, parts -- everything. any time you have to stop to get something that you didn't realise you were going to need you're going to add an hour to your working time unless you live next door to autozone.

oh, and don't use bosch plugs. ngk iridiums is the way to go.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the Coil Pack Re-location kit. Because I didnt have to worry about removing the old coils, I was able to unplug everything from the old coils (wasn't easy) and place the re-lo kit. Runs better for sure. No more mis-fires and actually sounds quieter.

Good luck on your project!

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (02-07-2019)