Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing drive shaft

I have an 03 Disco with 78k. I have some free time and am finally completing my repairs/services!! Some of the 60k is a little late but I'm finally getting around to it as well. In addition I want to look into weather or not to replace the driveshaft.

I've read previous posts about replacing the drive shaft but am still wondering weather or not I need to replace mine. I am second owner and I have the original shaft. I do not take it offroad anymore as I moved away from the mountains to a flat state! I have original size tires.

Is only the front necessary to replace?

Where is the best place to get a Tom Woods driveshaft or similar quality for an affordable price?

Attached Thumbnails replacing drive shaft-20130826_085834_resized.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If there is not 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 front u-joints, then yes, your's is an accident waiting to happen. If you want to do the repair yourself, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF on the step by step process.
As for the rear, there are 2 spots to be greased once or twice a year, 1 u-joint and 1 slip shaft.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can find stock quality replacement shafts with greesable joints for $299.00

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling

I will check it out to see if it's a repair I can do. Also if I decide to purchase new, would I be okay with a Two Joint or is the Double Cardan worth the extra cost?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want to buy an up-graded drive shaft go to British Parts of Utah and Great Basins Rovers in Salt Lake city for 2 of the better ones on the market.
And no, you must use a double cardon shaft with no exception unless you want to go for a double double card shaft whch is over kill.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you have to use a double cardone joint, the joints are easy to replace the center ball which is the priority is a real PITA to replace

Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the pdf Disco Mike. I'm deciding weather or not to rebuild or purchase a rebuilt shaft. I think a rebuild is a little beyond my ability but 1/3 the price I might give it a shot!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robgusto
Thanks for the pdf Disco Mike. I'm deciding weather or not to rebuild or purchase a rebuilt shaft. I think a rebuild is a little beyond my ability but 1/3 the price I might give it a shot!
I ordered the one from BPUtah this morning, and I made my decision purely on the fact that it has a grease able centering ball and spicer ujoints.

I've rebuilt 2 factory so far in the past year. One for each of my rovers, and once I felt the vibration last night I said not again. Yea you can rebuild it cheaper, but will it last? The one that went bad on me is the one on my DD that sees almost all interstate and I'm guessing those hot cats plus hot Arkansas asphalt baked 'em.

If you rebuild and it doesn't hold up then you'll be a new driveshaft plus cost of rebuilding the first one. I'm kicking myself for not going aftermarket the first time.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Good point! Thanks for the info.. I did have an additional question about the rear shaft. Is it less likely to fail or is it simply less of a disaster when it does? If I'm going to replace u joints or the entire shaft I'd like to tackle it as one project and get it all taken care of. However if the rear shaft is okay I will save time and money and leave it alone.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The only way to know about the rear one is to inspect it. First thing is to see if you can grease it properly.
Read this post: https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...02/#post164811

Quick Reply: replacing drive shaft