Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing glass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing glass?

Hi all!

I recently acquired a 2002 Discovery, and am working on customizing it to my taste.

The windows are far too dark for my liking. I prefer a more natural look, and the depth from being able to see through. Plus, at night I can't see anything out the back windows!

They are currently:

Windshield: Pilkington Optikool Laminated
Driver Doors: Pilkington Optikool Toughened
Passenger Doors, Safari, Rear: Pilkington Sundym Toughened

The windshield is about the level of tint I'd like the rest of the windows to be, but even that seems fairly dark.

My question is, what are my options on replacing? I'm assuming I can't remove the tint as they're factory. Are the current windows worth anything if I was to have them removed and sold? Should I just light the truck on fire and buy a new one?

Thanks!

Last edited by DanJC; 05-17-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:07 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Someone could have added tint to the inside of the windows. They aren't normally so dark you can't see through them. Check first.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:37 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Pilkington is the OEM glass supplier for the D2, though they do supply aftermarket glass to installers such as Safelite, too.

If yours are tinted, then it was an aftermarket job done either by the previous owner(s) themself or a tint shop. OEM glass should be fairly clear.

Find a tint shop in your area and have them take a look to see if they can remove the tint.

The following users liked this post:
Seattled2 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 11:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Someone could have added tint to the inside of the windows. They aren't normally so dark you can't see through them. Check first.
Interesting. How would one check? I looked, and so far inconclusive. Here are the windows:

Old 05-16-2021, 11:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Gripen
Pilkington is the OEM glass supplier for the D2, though they do supply aftermarket glass to installers such as Safelite, too.

If yours are tinted, then it was an aftermarket job done either by the previous owner(s) themself or a tint shop. OEM glass should be fairly clear.

Find a tint shop in your area and have them take a look to see if they can remove the tint.
Thanks for the info! My initial internet research indicated these were factory tinted. This is what the rear windows (the darkest) logo says:

Old 05-17-2021, 01:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Your windows are def tinted. You can usually see the edge of the film if you roll down your windows. A good tint shop can remove the film without damaging any of the defroster wires. Those tints look super dark!

Old 05-17-2021, 01:20 AM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJC
Thanks for the info! My initial internet research indicated these were factory tinted. This is what the rear windows (the darkest) logo says:

Yeah, that is definitely not factory. I've attached a picture of my own D2's glass. There is a slight green-blue tint to it, but only slight. If I remember correctly, the OEM glass is supposed to have some thermal blocking properties to it. Definitely noticeable on a sunny summer day if it's coming in through the driver side window. Just compare with the window up and down.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 404 Likes on 281 Posts

100% you have tinted windows. Nice ride, BTW!

Old 05-17-2021, 11:06 AM
TReK
Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

If it’s a film, I’m pretty sure you can remove it easily with a heat gun.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As stated, beware of damaging defrosting elements. But should be easy, otherwise.

Quick Reply: Replacing glass?