Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
I'm getting excited for this project. I really hope it goes smoothly. I can't wait to fire up the new engine!
If you really wanted to go the extra mile on this project, which you should, might I suggest an ECU update by Tornado Systems out of the U.K? Your first thoughts may be something like burning more cash for some fancy chip flash but it really has substantial benefits. #1 you will be able to take advantage of the uprated camshaft & cyl heads: that top end is capable of way more than the original ECU paremeters will allow. Basically you will have a bag of goodies to brag about, that actually doesn't do diddly $hit & that is a fact. #2 you would have not only more rear wheel horsepower than every1 else but also decent fuel mileage to go with it. #3 their flash reverses that pesky driveshaft/diff CLUNK engaging reverse gear: the reprogram cuts fuel/RPM selecting R so that the driveline doesn't encounter undue stress every time this exercise is performed. #4 and most importantly, the flash reduces overall engine temp starting with the combustion chamber & cyl heads. They address the ignition issue that has flawed the LR program since its inception. They didn't get the cooling system right, a well known fact, but Tornado claims the problem starts with the combustion and they have resolved this as well.
Does the new engine include the oil pump and cover assembly? This is something that you do not want transferred from your original motor to the new one. I believe this practice was used by Cannibal & contributed to their sparkling reputation. replace the flexplate too; they are cheap.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll look into the ecu reflash. Thanks for the flexplate tip. New front cover and water pump will definitely be installed.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Update....the engine was picked up by DHL from Turner in the UK on 6/6 and will be delivered to the shop here in Maryland tomorrow, 6/9. I'm impressed. That's fast!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Update....the engine was picked up by DHL from Turner in the UK on 6/6 and will be delivered to the shop here in Maryland tomorrow, 6/9. I'm impressed. That's fast!
I think I had mine is like three days. Turner was a joy to deal with. If they send you some new info on what oil to use, or maintenance scan that and post it!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you figured out how you are going to tell where your rover has been without the oil leaks?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Have you figured out how you are going to tell where your rover has been without the oil leaks?
I'm not replacing the diffs or transfer case, so I'll still be able to find my way home. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
Mskembo (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I think I had mine is like three days. Turner was a joy to deal with. If they send you some new info on what oil to use, or maintenance scan that and post it!
They emailed me an oil sheet that included a few Euro oils, red line, and royal purple. Rotella was on there too. That's what I plan to use, as I always have. I also asked about coolant. They recommended blue, like the oem BMW. I am going to run VW g12, as I always have. We have two Audi's, and it makes it easy that way. The VW g12 is a great coolant in my opinion. Actually, I buy Pentofrost SF which is the same as g12. Usually available at Napa.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM

They emailed me an oil sheet that included a few Euro oils, red line, and royal purple. Rotella was on there too. That's what I plan to use, as I always have. I also asked about coolant. They recommended blue, like the oem BMW. I am going to run VW g12, as I always have. We have two Audi's, and it makes it easy that way. The VW g12 is a great coolant in my opinion. Actually, I buy Pentofrost SF which is the same as g12. Usually available at Napa.
Thanks!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:10 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Verified Turner Customer

Greetings.
Im delighted that others on here are considering Turner Engineering for their replacement engine needs. I had a great experience with Turner and will recommend them to anyone. However my mechanic and I have strong reason to believe that the Kent performance camshaft may be the cause of a longstanding pending multiple misfire fault codes. Its a long story. But I really think you would be better off ordering the standard camshaft. Its also worth noting that I noticed no major difference in performance with the Turner block vs my original block. So performance camshaft feels redundant.

Regarding the gasflow cylinder heads. If you have secondary air injection than you may not be able to order the gasflow heads. When I ordered my block and misc engine parts from Turner, they did not have any SAI heads in stock. So I opted to have the heads from my original block machined by a local machine shop. I think it cost me $250 to have the heads machined.

I do recommend that you order everything else for the block, from Turner. New water pump, head gaskets, "standard head bolts", oil pump assembly and oil pump front cover. Peace of mind and warrantied.

Best of luck.

Julian

Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Greetings.
Im delighted that others on here are considering Turner Engineering for their replacement engine needs. I had a great experience with Turner and will recommend them to anyone. However my mechanic and I have strong reason to believe that the Kent performance camshaft may be the cause of a longstanding pending multiple misfire fault codes. Its a long story. But I really think you would be better off ordering the standard camshaft. Its also worth noting that I noticed no major difference in performance with the Turner block vs my original block. So performance camshaft feels redundant.

Regarding the gasflow cylinder heads. If you have secondary air injection than you may not be able to order the gasflow heads. When I ordered my block and misc engine parts from Turner, they did not have any SAI heads in stock. So I opted to have the heads from my original block machined by a local machine shop. I think it cost me $250 to have the heads machined.

I do recommend that you order everything else for the block, from Turner. New water pump, head gaskets, "standard head bolts", oil pump assembly and oil pump front cover. Peace of mind and warrantied.

Best of luck.

Julian
I have the H180 cams with 22,000 miles with no issues. Not going to refute you, but thought you should know.

I also bought all pumps, hardware and gaskets from Turner.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (06-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Replacing my engine...