Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing oxygen sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacing oxygen sensors...

Mike,
I agree that this was a bad thing to do but I learned about it from a mechanic who does work on Rovers. He said that Land Rover certified mechanics do sometimes degrease this part of the engine which will prevent you from having to replace the sensor in there which will run about $1k. That is the last thing in the world I want to do especially after the holiday season.

Adam

Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Overlanding

Do I need to geta special tool / socket / wrench to replace my Oxygen Sensors? If so where can I get one?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willie 00D2

I went to the parts store and they cleared my codes. The service engine soon light went off. About 40 miles later it came on again. So I went back to the parts store to read the codes. The codes are;
P0174 system too lean(bank 2) ,
P0171 system too lean(bank 1).

After changing the front O2 sensors I am no longer getting the codes;
P0733 gear 3 incorrect ratio,
P0734 gear 4 incorrect ratio,
P0154 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected(bank 2 sensor1),
P0155 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction(bank 2 Sensor 1)

Do I need a new MAF? Thank you for your help. Emissions test is needed soon so I need to figure this thing out.

Willie
2000 Discovery II
Bottom line, you need a MAF, be it the element or the whole unit for $129, then do a plug and play and clear the codes.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Mike
New member. I am trying to replace oxygen sensors myself. recently purchased NTK sensors #25044. I have 1998 iscovery. Check engine light on and was told both front O2 sensors need to be replaced. I went retailer who has a tool loan program. The O2 sockets the geve do not fit the sensors I have. I am I missing Something? Was hoping to replace the front two sensors and have system cleared by same retailer as above. Second ? is Should I change all 4 sensors at the same time? 158,000 miles
Thank you
Tommy

Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes change all four O2's at the same time. If you dont it will not run well and may thow more codes.
You just need a different sized wrench to get the O2's out, see if they have the correct size, not all O2's are the same size, ya know?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Just my two cents on O2 sensors. I too tried to go the cheap route out and bought the $35 ones thinking I will just cut off my old connectors and solderthem on the new ones. Wrong O! The threaded coupling on the sensor was a totally different thread size. When I called the place back and told them they did not fit, there response was "Oh...you need the "Correct Fit" sensors, we have those and they are $147 each" So be careful what you are buying. That could be why it is a different wrench size, because it's a different Thread size. I boughtthe correct fit onesfrom AB, with connectors, theywere andstill are, on sale for $129. Meanwhile I sent those useless sensors back and got credited but lost out on the S & H charges. So lesson learned.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Can someone explain where the O2 sensors are located? If I crawl under the truck, are they pretty easy to find? Also how many of them are there? 2 or 4? I have a Disco II SE7 2004. Im getting the left bank o2 error. Does anyone possibly have a link to replacement instructions? AtlanticBritish doesn't have a manual for the Bosch 2004 Engine that I could find. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ewingja1

Can someone explain where the O2 sensors are located? If I crawl under the truck, are they pretty easy to find? Also how many of them are there? 2 or 4? I have a Disco II SE7 2004. Im getting the left bank o2 error. Does anyone possibly have a link to replacement instructions? AtlanticBritish doesn't have a manual for the Bosch 2004 Engine that I could find. Thanks.

You have four one before the cat one after. onecat on each side. they look like spark plugs with wires coming out the ends.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

I am wondering if on the aftermarket plugs for the sensors if you can buy those. I purchased sensors and they have no plugs and the mechanic is stumped, they are white white gray black and the computer wires are red yellow black white. Does anyone know how to connect theses correctly?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy your O2 sensors from Atlantic British or another Rover specific place. They are made for Discos. They should have a "spark plugish" looking sensor that screws into the exhaust pipe (up by the engine) before and after the cat, the cord connects into the engine harness via a plug. Don't even bother with autozone or Napa O2 sensors.

Quick Reply: Replacing oxygen sensors...