Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request for Electrical Issue Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Request for Electrical Issue Assistance

I purchased another 2001 Discovery about 3 weeks ago after totaling my first 2001 Discovery last year end of March. Needless to say I am a happy camper!

However there seems to be some sort of electrical issue going on that I need help with please! This morning on my way to work I turned on the heater...and nothing, just blank, dark screen. I then tried to turn on the heated seat and same thing, no light to indicate it was on, and no heat.

I pulled over, turned off the engine, sat for about 10 seconds (probably less), restarted the vehicle, hit the button to turn on the heat and it came right on just fine, heated seat also worked.

Obviously, I am having an electrical issue. I tried to search for information in the threads and I am not having luck or simply not using the correct search terms.

Anyone else ever have this issue or have knowledge of this issue?

Additionally, whether related or not I don't know. About 3 days after purchase I adjusted driver side seatback. Later in the day I went to adjust it again and the seat would not move in any direction, just stopped working (it is still this way). I immediately tried the passenger seat and it worked fine, only the driver seat would not work. The next day my daughter went to adjust the seat back because I had the nerve to mess up "her" seat, and guess what? I also would no longer adjust. To date neither seat will adjust.

I am hoping I just have blown fuses. I still have my totaled 2001 at a friend's place and will get by this weekend to swap out the fuses to see if this makes a difference. I am hoping I do not have a bigger ECU/Electrical issue than just blown fuses...

Anyone have knowledge of this issue or experience with this issue?

Please, please, please just be blown fuses....Thanks Guys!

Cammy

Old 02-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cammyr01
I purchased another 2001 Discovery about 3 weeks ago after totaling my first 2001 Discovery last year end of March. Needless to say I am a happy camper!

However there seems to be some sort of electrical issue going on that I need help with please! This morning on my way to work I turned on the heater...and nothing, just blank, dark screen. I then tried to turn on the heated seat and same thing, no light to indicate it was on, and no heat.

I pulled over, turned off the engine, sat for about 10 seconds (probably less), restarted the vehicle, hit the button to turn on the heat and it came right on just fine, heated seat also worked.

Obviously, I am having an electrical issue. I tried to search for information in the threads and I am not having luck or simply not using the correct search terms.

Anyone else ever have this issue or have knowledge of this issue?

Additionally, whether related or not I don't know. About 3 days after purchase I adjusted driver side seatback. Later in the day I went to adjust it again and the seat would not move in any direction, just stopped working (it is still this way). I immediately tried the passenger seat and it worked fine, only the driver seat would not work. The next day my daughter went to adjust the seat back because I had the nerve to mess up "her" seat, and guess what? I also would no longer adjust. To date neither seat will adjust.

I am hoping I just have blown fuses. I still have my totaled 2001 at a friend's place and will get by this weekend to swap out the fuses to see if this makes a difference. I am hoping I do not have a bigger ECU/Electrical issue than just blown fuses...

Anyone have knowledge of this issue or experience with this issue?

Please, please, please just be blown fuses....Thanks Guys!

Cammy

P.S. I forgot to mention, my daughter pushed in the lighter (what's this do mom?), and soon after seat stopped working. This may be helpful with diagnosis? :-)

Old 02-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Might start by just looking inside the fuse box under the hood, visually inspecting the relays, fuses, etc. Might give them the wiggle test and just check for looseness, any signs of burning, etc. Won't be as good as an electrical test, but it's a start. Also check the ground posts, too while you're there.

The following users liked this post:
cammyr01 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I am hoping I just have blown fuses.
Suggest you check those first.

cammyr01 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

If something works then doesn't work it's unlikely to be fuses.

I've heard of sticky relays though.

Or, more likely IMO is the switches for things. They are moving contacts and can get gummed up.

Easy things to check. After that, it's out of my knowledge. Lol.

cammyr01 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I found that if I start mine sometime, the key does not go back to ignition. That is it is between ignition and start, by just a little bit. Nothing will come on, ie. heater, stereo. I have to turn my key back just a hair and everything comes on fine.

cammyr01 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Remove the cigarette/ cigar lighter and inspect inside the cavity where the lighter plugs in - you want to be sure there are no dimes, pennies, hair clips or anything else metallic jammed in there that could potentially cause a short. Oddly enough, those items have a way of finding a way in there.

cammyr01 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

My wife complained a couple of years ago that the phone charger in the power outlet of her car didn't work. After careful, painstaking diagnosis I found the cause ... an almond.

cammyr01 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
my wife complained a couple of years ago that the phone charger in the power outlet of her car didn't work. After careful, painstaking diagnosis i found the cause ... An almond.
hahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahaha.

That's hilarious. !!

cammyr01 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
If something works then doesn't work it's unlikely to be fuses.

I've heard of sticky relays though.

Or, more likely IMO is the switches for things. They are moving contacts and an get gummed up.
Also, check connectors at back of AC units. For the seat, check fuses and connectors. I dont think they put the seat motors and the front Cig lighter on the same circuit.

cammyr01 (02-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Request for Electrical Issue Assistance