Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoring Interior Plastic Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Right LR03NJ, mine is in some need of a spruce up internally, oh and externally also, soooo, you can have free accommodation in France and do mine as well.
First I'll polish my french. I'll start by watching Ratatouille from Disney, lol!

Old 02-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I dislike black interiors. They always look dirty.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh wow, that looks nice!!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

How did you remove the storage bins? Is it just popping a flat head screwdriver into the clips on the sides?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Gerry,
when you get through watching ratitoulie, what kind of sandable texture paint did you use in between and did you wet sand or dry sand with a fine grit or try to go through 2-3 stages of sanding. I'm gonna do mine and thinking it will be a bit of a pia since mine is the bahama beige and figure I will have to do it all to make it match properly

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
How did you remove the storage bins? Is it just popping a flat head screwdriver into the clips on the sides?
Exactly, but get the plastic trim removal tool. They are much wider and linger for deep trim locks like those. You can get the plastic caps (not sure what its called) if you need to plug the holes.
Gerry

Old 02-21-2017, 08:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Gerry,
when you get through watching ratitoulie, what kind of sandable texture paint did you use in between and did you wet sand or dry sand with a fine grit or try to go through 2-3 stages of sanding. I'm gonna do mine and thinking it will be a bit of a pia since mine is the bahama beige and figure I will have to do it all to make it match properly
Jayson,
There is no sanding required. Any sanding strokes or line will show when paint dries. I meant, the paint itself need to have texture and its sand texture. Like hammered or wrinkeled but instead sand. You need to get the feel of the sand when you touch it. You can feel the cap on the spray can to tell the texture. In your case, you need to get the nearest sand texture finish then, get the gloss almond and then clear coat it with matte finish. There used to be a paint exactly like the discovery trim but cant find it anymore with a light sand texture. I know its almond not beige. This is Home Depot bro but get
SEM Automotive Material Dye
They have more colors to choose from and more likely they have the ones of your choice.
The most important thing, whatever end color you choose, you have to get the sand texture paint near your color, spray a good amount in a small cup, get a pencil brush and touch up all the deep scratches with the textured paint. At the end, youll have a clean even look and dont over spray. Cheers!
Gerry

Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I paint plastic I use degreaser and clean parts using scotchpads and go over them lightly to rid of grease and prep the surface for painting. Thoroughly rinse and dry afterwards.

There are also adhesion promoters that dries tacky that you can use.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
When I paint plastic I use degreaser and clean parts using scotchpads and go over them lightly to rid of grease and prep the surface for painting. Thoroughly rinse and dry afterwards.

There are also adhesion promoters that dries tacky that you can use.
i love me some krudd kutter. That stuff will clean just about anything. I guess I know what I'll be doing come spring time when I get a few days off

Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use alchohol as a final prep before painting any plastics and before that a grease and wax removal as well. to hide minor scratches in the plastic parts. I sprayed all mine with rustoleum plastic hammered finish. it came out great. I was able to take the kaki look and turn the whole inside hammered black.

Quick Reply: Restoring Interior Plastic Project