Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse light wiring on passenger side problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse light wiring on passenger side problem.

I recently bought a 2003 Disco from a guy that owns a body shop and repairs and resells vehicles. The repair he had to do on mine was from an accident in the passenger rear quarter. When doing his repair he replaced the rear bumper and the passenger reverse light assembly, and now the passenger side reverse light doesn't work.

I climbed under the Rover and can see that nothing is plugged into the light housing, and there is no cable nearby to connect to it.

I think he might have removed a cable that ran to that light because I can see a open connector near the drivers side reverse light closure, and it looks as if there is a groove under the bumper for a cable to run from the drivers side to the passenger side.

Am I right that there should be a cable there?

If it is missing does anyone know where I can order one online? I not then does anyone have a part number for it?

If its too difficult to find one I might just make my own. I could use some tiny slip on connectors, and seal the connection points with some silicon.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
4th Gear

This is my first Rover so I am new to the design of the vehicle.

I am only asking if someone can tell me if there is a cable running from the drivers side reverse light housing in the rear bumper, and then over to the passenger side?

Or is there just supposed to be a cable that is in the wire loom and just comes out of the loom right behind the passenger side housing?

If anyone can just look under the rear bumper and tell me how it is supposed to be wired I can take it from there and either build my own wires or ask around to the junkyards.

If anyone can take the time to check it out I would greatly appreciate it, Thank you.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine looks like it comes down on each side from the main tail light area, in the quart panels.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 PM
4th Gear

Ok, thanks for checking. He removed the bumper and quarter so maybe he left it tucked up in one of them by accident. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM
4th Gear

I just pulled out the tail light and removed the bumper cover to see if the wire was tucked up in either one, but it is no where to be found. The wiring is still i the plastic wire looms so nothing has been ripped out or anything like that.

I still have a strong feeling it was running across the bottom of the rear bumper and connected to a connector on the drivers side because of the loose connector with nothing in it that I found over there.

The loose connector is sticking out of the same wire loom as the drivers side reverse light.

I suppose I will have to go to a dealership and helplessly watch my wallet get raped without any form of lubrication anywhere to be found.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDisco76
I suppose I will have to go to a dealership and helplessly watch my wallet get raped without any form of lubrication anywhere to be found.
Why would you do that? Even if you're not up for fixing this yourself (which you ought to - if one side works and the other side doesn't, all you need is a length of wire and the proper connectors, some tape, and some zip ties), bring it virtually anywhere with mechanics that are bright enough to not drop cars off of the lift onto themselves repeatedly and they should be able to take care of it for under $65 (typical hourly rate - should take less than an hour, but you'll likely be billed for at least an hour. The materials are pennies).

It's might not be exactly the way it came from the factory, but seriously - who cares? You'll have working lights. This isn't and never will be a show car where you're going to have a concours judge checking for factory wiring harnesses.