Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse wire under console

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse wire under console

Can someone help a bro out here? Looking for the reverse wire under the center console and having some trouble. I know it is green but thought it would exit closer to the gear selector. Is it the one with the arrow in the pic? If not could someone in the know point where it might be. Looking to hook this camera up soon as I can and it's hot as heck out here!

Attached Thumbnails Reverse wire under console-center-console.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 03:12 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Page 4.65 of the D2 electrical library says that the feed wire from the starter inhibitor/reverse switch is a green/yellow wire. This comes into header C0287 up behind the passenger footwell, which might be an easier place to hook into it.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Mudding

Thanks fo that. Looking there does not fill me full of optimism though. I do like how the 2 green wires by the arrow are just hanging there- strange.

I'll see if I can look and find the correct wire though. Maybe if I can figure out which header in the photo I can narrow it down.

Since I had the console off I was hoping it would be an easy find but looks like not.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse wire under console-footwell.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 03:46 PM
TReK

P7143 in the electrical library seems to say that the C0287 header is inside the wrapped bundle at the bottom of that pic.
Although I may have misled you -- the wire at C0287 is green/brown. It's a green/yellow wire from fuse 25 in the passenger compartment box that goes to the reverse lamp switch. That wire might actually be a better option since the green/brown wire is not just for the reverse lamp but also carries starter inhibitor signals.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Mudding

The green/yellow might be better. The in dash nav unit wire needs to connect to the reverse lamp wire so it will automatically switch to the camera view when the truck is placed in reverse. I connected the transmitter at the rear of the truck to the green wire at the lamps but need something up front so the view on the unit will switch automatically.

So I am looking for the green/yellow wire from the fuse box in the passenger side. That is in the footwell or under the passenger seat?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Mudding

I know the one under the seat is just for the seats though.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 AM
TReK

Passenger compartment fuse box -- not the seat fuses. That means the one by the driver's feet.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:14 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
Passenger compartment fuse box -- not the seat fuses. That means the one by the driver's feet.
I am no electrician for sure but isn't the wire right from the fuse there always hot? I need it to switch on only in reverse.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Green with a Brown trace is the wire you're looking for (reversing lights).

It can be found in the 10-way male/female connectors (C0668/C0681) under the console in your first picture.

The Green with a Yellow trace is an ignition-switched live, which goes to the reversing lights switch (through C0668/C0681), and is switched to the Green/Brown wire when reverse is selected.

Don't bother trying to get at the Green/Brown wire in header C0287 - as, this is wrapped into the main harness behind the dash.

The reversing lights wire (Green/Brown) can also be found around the dash, at -

1. Behind the rear-view mirror (C0698), where it's used for the auto-dipping function of the mirror.

2. In the driver's footwell connectors (C0102/C0484), where it runs from the main harness to the body harness, for the reversing lights.

3. In connector C0661 at the BCU, where it is used to signal the BCU that reverse has been selected, for the auto rear wiper function.

4. In the 'accessory socket' connector (C0942) adjacent to the under-dash fuse box.

C0942 can be found in later vehicles - it's one of the places where the accessory navigation kit plugs into.

Last edited by PaulMc; 07-15-2016 at 07:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nickt (03-04-2018)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the detailed answer Paul, it was what I was looking for.

I think the only one that will help is under the console. The ones near the mirror and others always have voltage, at least when the ignition is on. I need a source that only has power when the truck is in reverse- that is very key as it is what makes the monitor change automatically to the camera view when backing and when open reverts to the previous screen.

I think I have located it under the console and will try that one.

Quick Reply: Reverse wire under console