Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhythmic clicking noise from the WABCO box

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 12:52 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhythmic clicking noise from the WABCO box

Haven’t had a chance to search the forums yet, but I’ve had a rhythmic clicking noise and found out tonight it’s coming from the WABCO box under the drivers seat. Any idea what this could be?

Photo shows the timing of the clicks.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

That's the pump for the air suspension.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

If you air bags are replaced with springs, you may want to disconnect the air pump....

I see a common pattern:
Titanic rusticles and rusty disco's, both British....

Old 07-14-2020, 08:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by XRAD
If you air bags are replaced with springs, you may want to disconnect the air pump....
Now, I'm not one hundred present sure of this...but when I disconnected the plug to our 03's pump (which had its air suspension replaced with standard coils before we bought) I could not get the "dinger" inside the dash cluster to stop dinging, constantly (same door chime dinger you get with three amigos, head lights left on, etc). I'd clear the code for air suspension fault, no dinger, drive twenty feet...constant dinger until I stopped again. Finally gave up and plugged the pump back in, problem solved (and yes, our pump made a clicking sound from time to time...not always). Now, again, these were just my experiences with the pump system and didn't do any more investigating for a solution.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Perfect! PO had replaced air with springs, so hopefully that explains it all.

I also get an intermittent sensor light (the one that looks like the tailgate is being lifted) whenever I fill the tank, hit a bump, load kids in the trunk, etc. I assume that is related too. I'll look into disconnecting the air line and update.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

I''l have to recheck that harness, Thought it was hanging disconnected. The ride height sensors are still in place but zip tied in one position. My pump makes no noises. I have no dings or codes.....

Old 07-14-2020, 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

The best approach to addressing the fact that the air springs were replaced with coils is to change the setting in the self-leveling, antilock braking system (SLABS) computer from air to coils. That shuts down all the air springs circuitry, etc. Leaving the SLABS set for air springs can also result in a parasitic draw on the battery as the system continues to try to work even though the air spring bladders are gone.

It takes an ABS-capable scan tool to change the setting. Perhaps there's someone near you that has one, although I don't recall any other active forum members in or near Kansas City. The dealer or a Rover specialty shop would also be able to do it but would probably bill you a diagnostic charge.

The following users liked this post:
boston4 (07-15-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Drifting
Default Still working on this, having trouble!

I've been trying to figure this one out, but don't have access to a scanner or the ability to change the computer. Curious if there are any ways to hack it so the compressor stops trying to engage, it keeps draining the battery. My goal here is to detach the compressor in a way so the SLS light does not turn on and the beeping doesn't happen while I'm driving over 20mph.

Here is what I've tried:

Unplug the compressor - this stops the compressor from attempting to work, but it turns on the SLS alert light, and the car beeps uninterrupted when I drive over 20 mph.
While the compressor was unplugged, I also tried to unplug the ride height sensor and the fuse, still no difference to the light and the beeping.

With the compressor plugged in I unplugged the ride height sensor (thought it was fixed for a few days, I was wrong), the SLS light is still on, compressor still tries to engage.

Haven't found any other threads on this specific issue, and ideas?

Old 12-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Under driver seat ?
The Wabco box for anti-lock brakes under the hood does have a 'rhythmic clicking noise' I measured and all Discos show :

----> https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...91/#post414629

With no way to find explanation or data from anything Wabco.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Dlueck, you're right. I too worked through all the alternatives you describe but with no successful outcome.

Brandon318 rents out his Nanocom. You can use it to change the SLABS setting from air springs to coils. Check the stickies at the top of this forum list.

You can use the Nanocom to change the SLABS setting from You send a deposit to cover the value of the Nanocom, he sends you the Nanocom, you use it a few days and send it back. He returns your deposit, minus the rental fee. You pay shipping both ways.

Quick Reply: Rhythmic clicking noise from the WABCO box