Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhythmic thump under, felt under passenger floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Did you read the HOW TO & WRITE UPS Sticky here?

lots of info on what bolts come out and what don't as well as the type of nuts to replace the old ones with, not to mention what parts to buy.

- Driveshaft Rebuild (Antman) https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-done-30781/

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-02-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I use two 14mm wrenches (a 9/16 should work in a pinch) with another wrench acting as an extension. Google the two wrench trick.

Recently I discovered a 6" swivel adapter and 14mm socket works pretty well also.

This kind of swivel extension:

The wrenches are possibly easier, but slower once you get the nuts broken loose.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
I actually wound up getting a few different swivels and wrenches and managed to get it done.
I did notice it was much easier to get the job done after i jacked it up for more clearance (punching self).
But all in, it took me about 2.5 hours to get the old one out; and about 45 minutes to get the new one in.

HOWEVER - the issue with the thump still exists!

So after swapping out drive shafts (which makes me feel pretty accomplished in and of itself), and taking it for a quick test drive, the thump is most definitely still there.
So i'm thinking it may be a wheel bearing??

Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear the shaft didnt solve the problem. To check wheel bearings, jack up one wheel at a time and try moving the wheel to check for play. You will get some play right to left on the fronts by virtue of the steering, but up and down should be tight. Any chance you can make and post a video of your problem?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Overlanding

So i should check up/down with the tire on, or should i take the tire off and test against the hub?
And wouldn't there inherently be some up play due to the suspension, or is it really more of the wheel up/down on the axle?

I've just started my research a little bit ago, been a little busy catching up on all of the other stuff i've missed today while switching out the drive shafts...
but i'll do some more reading to see if i can figure out what i'm looking for a little better, or hopefully find a video of it. watching this right now:

I can make a video, but i'm not certain what you want to see? i can pull the front passenger tire and vid it - but i'm not certain how to vid the 'thump' feeling and sound...

Last edited by bfamous; 03-02-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Overlanding

So i jacked up the tire in question (front passenger), and tried to see if there was any play. I had to REALLY muscle it and there may have been a 1/16" movement, but it seemed more like i was just moving the tire itself than wiggling the hub.

Of note, i can rotate the tire about 10 degrees or so in either direction when it is jacked up, car in park and emergency brake on.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Was the 1/16th movement left/right or up/down? That video explained how to check it. Push with one hand on the top, pull with other hand on the bottom. Shouldn't move top to bottom. Left to right will turn the steering on the front wheels.

You're looking for wheel movement on the hub assembly (tire on). Shouldn't take more than 10-15lbs of force to rock the wheels. Suspension isn't involved at all.

Last edited by willrok13; 03-03-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would check the tires to see if there is a nail/screw in it, or something stuck in the treads. When I pumped gas in high school, I took care of plugging tires. I once found a spark pulg in a tire. The porcelain side went thru the tread.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm sorry to hear the driveshaft didn't fix the problem. I didn't realize you ordering one or I'd advised that you wait and get yours checked by a shop.

The things I'd check off the top of my head -

Make sure the passenger front caliper is secure. I have a friend who a few years back had a clunking from a rear wheel and it turned out he'd lost a caliper bolt. The caliper was flopping around like crazy. But as I recall, the noise changed when he hit the brakes, which you aren't reporting.

Check for play in the couplings that mount the front shaft to the differential and transfer case. They will move some, but there should be very little up and down or left and right movement.

wheel bearings

If all that fails, I'd be tempted to raise the whole truck (point it away from the house!), start it, and put it in drive, then walk around the truck listen for the noise. Just be VERY careful. Keep your limbs and clothes well away from moving parts.

I'm starting to think you may need to take it in to an indy Rover shop (not a dealership). It could be your front differential or transfer case is crapping out. Both of which will be pretty big jobs. But not hugely expensive if you buy used parts. Either way you are rapidly getting into jobs you probly won't want to mess with.

I am very curious to hear what it is, so if you take it in, let us know what happens.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Overlanding

i'm not too overly concerned about replacing the drive shaft somewhat unnecessarily; as my wife reminded me it exploded before our son was born - he's 5 now... so i just chalk it up to preventative maintenance and a learning opportunity. (though my back isn't all happy about it after laying on the concrete for almost 4 hours...)

I'm pretty certain at this point it's not the bearings, the play there isn't negligible and i'm definitely exerting more than 10-15 lbs of force to get it to move even the slightest bit.

To eliminate it being the tire itself, tonight (time permitting) i'm going to swap the front left and front right to see if the issue moves or stays. I'm pretty certain it'll stay, but seems like an easy test that won't take too much effort.

Dr. Mordo, i'm been thinking about it being the front diff and transfer case too. i was leaning more to the diff though. Taking it to the local family shop i've used in the past is probably the next step for me though, as if it was swapping hub assemblies i'd be ok; but like you said, differential and tranny case are probably more than i care to deal with...

and sadly, my wife is suggesting it might be time to give my Disco up... that's a hard pill to swallow.

Quick Reply: Rhythmic thump under, felt under passenger floorboards