Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhythmic thump under, felt under passenger floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread...and helpful.

I've old tires (55K+) and thought the noise I was hearing as I cruised down I-95 was due to the tires. But in the back of my head I was thinking, 'bearings...crap!'

Discoverer5, like you, it's been too darn cold to roll the windows down, but this past weeks weather reprieve (60s! before plunging into the 20s again) let me do just that. At highway speed I would just hear the whine when I tracked to the right. At slower, neighborhood speeds, I would hear the chirping you spoke of along with, I dunno, a mechanical sound. Kind of a crunch or clunk. I don't hear it all the time but enough to scare me.

I've not got the chops (or shop) many of you all have so I'll be taking it to my local independent LR mechanic (UK Motors in Felton, PA) to check the wheel hub assemblies.

There's a fella in Lancaster PA that deals with used parts (just had him supply me with a compressor to replace my unit. Another story, had slow leak in on air bags and the constant operation killed the compressor. Replaced both air bags which cost me about $150 or so with shipping).

He is shipping my shop two used hub assemblies complete with ABS sensors. We'll see how it goes.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Drifting

I finally located my problem....

After having a clicking thump noise for the past couple weeks I had a chance to check everything drivetrain related and could not pinpoint my problem. Eventually, being slightly frustrated with my problem, I started replacing items such as the front propshaft. I reinstalled my old unit and the thump/click went away. I was in the process of also replacing hub assemblies thinking the noises were coming from that, even without having it fail the "wiggle" test I was going to start throwing new parts on the truck. So if anyone is looking for a new hub assembly, please let me know I have one new in the box for 108$ shipped to most locations.

Editted post: just spoke with Chuck, I believe that was his name, and it turns out my newer prop shaft was defective and is being replaced with another unit. After speaking with proshaft llc I was thoroughly impressed with his knowledge of the problem and the customer service of resolving my issue.

Last edited by Discoverer5; 03-17-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Resolution
Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Overlanding

Discoverer5, I'm not doubting switching back to your old prop shaft fixed your problems; but i put a BRAND NEW prop shaft on my Disco and the problem still exists... old prop or new prop, i have the rhythmic thumping...

... i was hoping your experiment with the hub would prove to be the answer for you so i could follow suit. But it looks like i'm back to tracking down the issue on mine (though i've been slacking at looking at it for two weeks now... and since it needs inspection next month, so i have a feeling i'll get jump started on fixing it soon...)

Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bfamous
Discoverer5, I'm not doubting switching back to your old prop shaft fixed your problems; but i put a BRAND NEW prop shaft on my Disco and the problem still exists... old prop or new prop, i have the rhythmic thumping...

... i was hoping your experiment with the hub would prove to be the answer for you so i could follow suit. But it looks like i'm back to tracking down the issue on mine (though i've been slacking at looking at it for two weeks now... and since it needs inspection next month, so i have a feeling i'll get jump started on fixing it soon...)
Good luck in finding your problem, I think problems like these are tough to pinpoint. I have a brand new hub with sensor if you want to give it a try. The method looks pretty straight forward and make sure you get the specific 12 point socket and a large breaker/cheater bar to take the large bolt(king nut?) off.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I didn't read through this whole thread...but are we sure its not a grease zerk hitting cats or maybe an output flange.

fyi 1 1/4" socket for the stake nut on axle, for hub. it fits much better than the metric socket.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dusty1
I didn't read through this whole thread...but are we sure its not a grease zerk hitting cats or maybe an output flange.

fyi 1 1/4" socket for the stake nut on axle, for hub. it fits much better than the metric socket.
Not a zerk clearance issue on mine. The whole exhaust was redone and cats are nowhere near the shaft.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still 100% curious to see how this turns out. Thanks for keeping us updated.