Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic set of repair tools and wet floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic set of repair tools and wet floorboards

I have some old cheap-*** screwdrivers, hammers, and pliers around the house, but I'd like to get some real tools to start doing light maintenance repairs and upkeep. I know I need a socket set in metric (and standard?) and some quality screwdrivers that won't strip when trying to loosen old rusty screws, but what do you find are your most frequently used tools for your upkeep? For the socket set, what is a good range that will cover the various sized nuts on bolts? While I'm not really mechanically savvy (yet), I hope the DII will put me in the right direction.

I also need to get some ramps to get under the truck to pull those p.i.t.a. drain plugs from the A/C. There is a 76 station just down the street, and I will ask the owner if he can help me get under the body. I have the rubber mats and never looked underneath for the wet floorboards until last night after talking to the previous owner. He mentioned he had to drain those plugs before too. I've seen thread titles on this issue, but never read any of the posts until last night and realized how big of an issue this is. I looked under the body with a flashlight and saw the A/C condensor(?) right underneath the wet floorboard and on top of a support cross bar. The whole thing looked like it had condensation on it so I'm assuming this is part of the issue. One question I haven't seen asked or answered is how often do these drain plugs need to be pulled/checked? I know some people remove them entirely, but I'd rather keep them unless they are more trouble than they're worth.

Thanks in advance!!

-D2G

Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Basic set of repair tools and wet floorboards

Hey d2g, welcome to the board. I don't know anything about the drain tools but I can give you some tool advice...

Go pick up a set of Husky sockets and socket wrenches. Get a kit that has a 1/2 inch drive also if you can. I like Husky because they are good tools, made in USA. Craftsman quality has gone down since they sold out to a Taiwan firm. Other tools:

1/2 inch driver breaker bar <-- my most useful purchase
Magnetic telescoping bolt retriever <-- my second most useful purchase
Husky click style 50 - 250 ft/lb torque wrench
Craftsman guage - style 0 - 75 lb torque wrench. Get a clicker if you want to, but you use this alot and I think it would be a pain to keep setting the clicker over and over and over.
Husky screwdriver set, very nice and only 20 bucks.
Allen key sockets

That's all I can think of right now. It will start you out well. I highly recommend getting the rails that you can attach your sockets to, and then get the crastman plastic toolbox. Get all of your sockets on rails and toss the PITA socket box that comes standard with all sets. Then you just have one handy toolbox.

Oh, a rubber mallet. That's nice too. Go to autozone and get a grease gun and a fluid pump to fill your diffs, t/case and tranny.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, the drain tubes are on each side of the tranny, coming thru the floor board, they allow the water to drain out and over the tranny. No tools are needed, just a flash light and maybe a wire. Usually you can milk the nipples a little and at some point the water will flow out, usually all over your arm, if not a small piece of wire, inserted up inside the nipple will free up the mud plug. What ever you do, do not remove them.
Now the fun parts starts, pull up your rubber mats, then the carpet and the pads, dry it all out using a fan, keep the pad up for days if need be to make sure all the moisture has dried up then reinstall them. If you don't do that you will with time develop rust holes thru the floor and a big expense.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. In another post about drying the carpet someone was really recommending this fan, which I'm ordering today. The good news if I do have some mold a friend of mine used to wash carpets and has this Bio-Kill stuff that can remove just about any stain, odor and mold. I'm assuming the carpet has been wet for a while now so I hope the floorboard is still in ok condition. Any quick tips on getting the carpet up? I'll search around for some more info (which I'm sure is here) but just wondering if there's any part that can be an unforseen hassle. I have the LR workshop manual, and the RAVE cd which I will look at too.

-D2G