Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richard head gasket replacement 04 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020 | 02:56 PM
|
Camel Trophy

A few pictures of Saturdays work, an old cleaned up dishwashing soap bottle makes a great oiler.

Cleaned all the push rods, liberally oiled the rockers, valve tops, rover springs, lifters, oil holes under the rover arms and camshaft After a good vacuuming of course.

As noted a short day I had family obligations, but it felt good to get the heads and rockers done and torqued.

Old 02-23-2020 | 04:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
No pictures a long 3 day week end and I got the heads in place, with the rear bolt on the driver side holding me up, I need a small headed 3/8 torque wrench to get in there. Wobbles do not give enough room. Found a perfect sized one, but it is in inch lbs.

Cleaned up a few bits I have a line on a 3/8 that should work.
How'd you get the braided loom over the connector?

Old 02-23-2020 | 04:49 PM
|
Camel Trophy

@Brandon318 it is a split loom that overlaps, it is is really nice stuff. I have some more to do, I will get some pictures of what it looks like going on to the wire.

Old 02-24-2020 | 10:52 AM
|
Camel Trophy

Sunday was a good day

The valley pan gasket is a pain to get set just right, it takes a lot of fiddling to seat correctly - in my case the left side was great the right side took some work,the right rear was great the right front was low a bit. If you do this read a lot and dry fit a few times.

I suspect a lot of the issues around leaks in this area are related to fitting issues.

Bolt cleaning took a lot of day, turns out the old intake bolts had plumbers paste on them, that is just wierd as the bolt do not enter the cooling jacket.
After 5 days of soaking in gasoline that stuff was still hard as rock. As luck would have it the only thread chasing kit to rent was out.

In the end I used my old warped head as a chase and used this process:
  1. hit the bolt with gasket remover spray
  2. Screw the bolt into the head
  3. Let sit for 15 minutes
  4. Pull it and rinse (hot water)
  5. Scrub with a bristle brush
  6. Clean grooves with an exacto knife and jewelers screwdriver - this stuff is hard
  7. Run into a second block hole with degreaser
  8. rinise again
  9. Run into the block in a 3rd hold dry
  10. Repeat if required
I generally had one soaking in gasket remover while I cleaned the next one.

Before and after

State of intake bolts

Once the intake was in place, I got the SAI pipes into the block, after adding some anti seize. They are supposed to torqued that is hilarious with a square fitting.

My day was coming to end at this point as were High winds forecast so I got everything battened down, but for amusement my work area.

3 step ladders and a halogen work light

Final job was replacing the throttle body heater, mine leaked and has been bypassed but as long as everything was apart, I figure replace it.
It is very easy:
  • pull the old one
  • Clean the mating surface,used 2000 grit sandpaper and steel bar
  • Copper gasket spray on both sides of the gasket
  • Set the gasket in place
  • Put the manifold in place
  • Bolt it down

Old 02-25-2020 | 09:41 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Well started and stopped today, got laid off need to clear my brain. Put the AC bracket on and forgot the lift eye, figured put the tools down take a day have lots of time now.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020 | 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well started and stopped today, got laid off need to clear my brain. Put the AC bracket on and forgot the lift eye, figured put the tools down take a day have lots of time now.
Dang! Sorry to hear.

Richard Gallant (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020 | 10:01 PM
|
Camel Trophy

@No Doubt yea 62 in 2.5 weeks hell of day - but it is not the1st time, and wife says just retire we will figure it out. So she's a keeper for sure

The following 4 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
Dave03S (02-26-2020), No Doubt (02-26-2020), Sixpack577 (02-26-2020), whowa004 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020 | 10:45 PM

what’s your line of work

Old 02-26-2020 | 12:23 AM
|
Camel Trophy

@redwhitekat IT support legacy systems and integration to Windows. But I have done a lot stuff in the last 40 odd years, mostly computing related, ran my own computer store for a while, was a programmer analyst, ran data and telco cable for a few years, did commercial side support for an Antivirus sales outfit,some data recovery.

Before all that I worked doing sheet metal work for Force 10 Marine, stove, barbecue etc for yachts, ran a gas station for a couple of years, a couple warehouse jobs. Did a lot misc jobs early on I spent 25 years as a reservist, took a lot of short run postings (deployments in modern terms), into my middle 20's.

I am sort misc jobs guy, my wife has worked for the same company for about 32 or so years.

Funny story I was laid off by the original owners of the company about 20 years ago, when money was tight. Came back 8 years ago under different owners, the company was sold to a US equity firm and I get laid off again technically by the same company. The world is a funny place

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
Sixpack577 (02-26-2020), whowa004 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020 | 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Sorry to hear, sounds like if needed you can find something to keep you busy!! and if not plenty of time for more exploring

Quick Reply: Richard head gasket replacement 04 Disco II