Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Mounted Flood Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016 | 04:02 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Roof Mounted Flood Lights

I want to mount four flood lights on the roof of my 04 D2. These are the ones:
Amazon.com: Auxbeam™ 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Work Light Bar Flood Beam 60 degree Waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive Amazon.com: Auxbeam™ 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Work Light Bar Flood Beam 60 degree Waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp: Automotive

The first issue I see is that wiring could be difficult. There will be one relay, a 7.5 amp fuse (total amperage is 6amps), and a modded cruise control switch like the one I have for my spot lights to turn them on. The hardware is under the hood, so how do I get the wires up to the roof? Obviously, I want the wires to be hidden.

The second issue I see is actually mounting the lights to the roof. I do not have a roof rack (would have been pretty easy if I did). I do have the stock 04 roof rails though. Do they make crossbars for these? I know they do for the 99-03 models. But that is all I could think of for mounting without a roof rack.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2016 | 04:28 PM
Camel Trophy

The way I did mine when I had them was that I ran the wiring up the inside of the A-pillar, behind the headliner, and drilled a hole through the roof and into the rail (I have the '04 style rail too), then down the rail and also drilled a hole on the underside of the rail in the front. I used some black goopy window sealer on both where the wire entered the rail and where it exits so it wouldn't leak. I can't remember what the stuff is called. Then I took some metal stock, cut it the width of the rails, drilled holes to mount the lights at equal distances across the cross rail, got some u-bolts for the 2.5" diameter rails, drilled holes for the u-bolts, and painted the whole assembly black.

Old 01-11-2016 | 07:01 PM
Pro Wrench

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-wiring-40511/

Hit up Coors and see what's up with that light bar. As far as I know, you can still get them in the UK

Old 01-11-2016 | 07:11 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Alex, I like your idea. If you can, please post a picture. Thanks dgi 07 for the link.

Old 01-11-2016 | 10:03 PM
Camel Trophy

Sure! Here are the only two pictures I have of it. This is when I still had my '03 rails. I haven't had the opportunity to make the new mount that I'm going to use since I switched to the '04 rails. I am going to do a write up when I do those, but the way I'm doing those is going to be a lot more fab intensive.

Name:  1DsOHDl.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  932.9 KB

Old 01-12-2016 | 09:34 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Alex. Looks like I have something to do this weekend.

Old 01-12-2016 | 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy

Throw up a picture when you get it done!

Old 01-13-2016 | 12:03 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Throw up a picture when you get it done!
I sure will!

Old 01-13-2016 | 08:40 AM
Camel Trophy

Before you go fabbing up some elaborate mount you may want to check the beam pattern first. Set the lights on the roof and see how much light is cast down on your hood. My guess is quite a bit. I have a pair of those same lights in what is supposed to be Spot beam, but they kinda just throw light everywhere.
If you can live with the light on your hood or will be using them at very low speeds only, then go for it.
I mounted my pair on the front bumper FWIW.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoCam (01-19-2016)
Old 01-13-2016 | 10:13 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by fishEH
Before you go fabbing up some elaborate mount you may want to check the beam pattern first. Set the lights on the roof and see how much light is cast down on your hood. My guess is quite a bit. I have a pair of those same lights in what is supposed to be Spot beam, but they kinda just throw light everywhere.
If you can live with the light on your hood or will be using them at very low speeds only, then go for it.
I mounted my pair on the front bumper FWIW.
That's a good point. I will test them before I make the setup more permanent.

Quick Reply: Roof Mounted Flood Lights