Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I recently had a quote from Maaco for $1200, paid a local guy $900 to paint a roof black on a black truck..

Personally, I prefer a white roof on an Epson Green truck. LR's never came with black roofs, but they did come with white roofs when exported to mideastern and african countries.

these two are tan --or very off-white at least-- which looks much better on the dark epsom paint color. brighter, pure white is just too much contrast if you ask me. I'd go for an off-white if I were you. Chamonix is a Range Rover classic color and isn't stark white. Alpine white is a bit brighter but not too bad. Cornish cream would be an excellent white to use on epsom.

I have the same dilemma. roof is nearing total failure. I might just wrap it to get me by for a few years. I'd rather have the entire truck repainted than just do the roof.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:54 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

That’s the filter in the photo giving an off white look. Great idea to consider an off white tho.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by SWM
With the repaint quotes you all got, wouldn't they have to remove the sunroof surrounds and the top rails? Or maybe they can tape well enough?

How hard are they to remove?
I also had the headliner out, painter removed the roof rails, masked everything else.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Roof color

Should I plan on replacing the top seal on the windshield?

any thing that I should look for in the paint quote, clear, etc that may be needed but not listed? This quote is $1200 and he seems to know what he is doing. I think I am going to have the roof rack removed, If I already drop the headliner for the roof rack, I may as well pull the sun roofs, no?

This is what I working with, as I think about it, maybe the black wheels do not require a black roof. I do like the cream, off white color anyway.

Last edited by redrover75; 03-22-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:33 PM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Spoiler

If your at all concerned - just ask them how you could attempt to make it easier?

Many auto body shops must have there own methods of perfection with experience. I personally wouldn’t want to remove the sunroofs if I didn’t have to. The roof rails were very easy as I had headliner out.
I requested to have alpine windows removed and resealed.

In my case, my preferred body shop discussed there experience leading paint down below the windshield seal. I coincidentally had a cracked windshield which replacing post paint made it easier for them to say we want to just cut it out the way.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

I pulled off my roof rails and sunroofs when I got mine painted. Used the opportunity to get the headliner redone.

Unfortunately there was a flaw in the paint and I had to have them redo the roof. This time the roof bars and sunroofs stayed in. I found no issues with the paint quality or finish.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I had been pondering white on my Alveston Red D2 for a while. It looks great on the green.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I think I am doing the Creme, I can get over the contrasting black wheels. will post a photo when done.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Why don't you just paint the top horizontal panel and leave the sides? (Personal opinion here) but I think it looks funky with the roof sides painted. You could always do the top and go back and do the sides later but either way, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:57 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof painting

Hello, did you manage to paint your roof? If so, I would like to know the type of paint you used. Are there paints specifically designed for roofs? I have found a paint that seems suitable for my project, but before making a final decision, I would like to explore other options to ensure I make the most informed choice possible. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Quick Reply: Roof Painting