Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rack Build Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you going to attach it to the truck?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Going to fashion some brackets. I picked up a piece of 1/8" steel c channel at Home Depot. Should be enough to make the light mount tabs and the 8 mounting points. Going to put the mounting points above the pillars and have a piece of tubing running from the bottom runner to the top. Pretty much mimic what everyone else does.

Last edited by BrandonS; 12-31-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah your making it just like a safety devices rack? Do you know what those gutter clamps look like it . Do you need a picture? I would not worry about any durability issues at all. Get er done dude, it looks good. Do you know how much a roof top tent weighs? They are heavy then hell & have two or three people up there, well they handle it just fine.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Mudding

I spent the morning squaring it up and mocking up different options for what direction I wanted to go. I'm going to do a flat top with a front basket. This way I can do an RTT down the road and in the meantime it'll be way more versatile for carrying larger flat things like plywood, boards and metal... I've really missed having a pickup for this stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Build Attempt-20130101_141007-l.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking really good.I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Your load-bearing attach points should be over the pillars and it doesn't appear from the photos that it is long enough to reach the rear pillar. Otherwise it's looking good.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Great!

I have a safety devices rack installed on mine and if you need any photos to compare it too let me know and I can take some for you.

Also, my rack has been sprayed with line-x and I highly recommend this. I went through a parkade height restriction bar that was fixed, did not move or sway, and scraped the top of my rack quite hard. I though for sure I would have damaged the line-x but it didn't, I had hazard yellow paint on it from the restriction bar and that was it!

Also, chicken coop flooring from UFA works really well as the flooring. It's thick plastic in a grid pattern - lightweight and durable.

Cheers!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Colorado David
Your load-bearing attach points should be over the pillars and it doesn't appear from the photos that it is long enough to reach the rear pillar. Otherwise it's looking good.
Good point. I'll need to figure something out to fix this, especially since I want am RTT.

Guru That's a good suggestion! Is the finish smooth or really rough like a truck bed? About how much did it cost? Any pics of the finish?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Mudding

Brandon -

It's a rough finish but much stronger than the truck bed liner sprays. You can search Line-X online and read about it. Just to give you an idea of how strong it is, they are using it on building walls to help protect in case of an explosion. The distance that shrapnel goes is significantly reduced.

I don't know how much it costs to do the rack as It was already done when I bought mine.

I don't have any close up pictures of what the coating looks like but I will take some tomorrow in the daylight for you.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

That's looking great! Nicely done. I'd love to see more photos as you progress. I've got a buddy with a D2 that is planning the same project for this weekend. How do you plan on connecting it to the truck?

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Build Attempt