Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rack and Winch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Did y'all replace the gutter/drip rail trim before installing the racks? I'm thinking of having my roof from the drip rails up linex'd with the uv protector. No fading or leaks and will be hit by the rack
I haven't received yet, so no. Love all these little ideas coming in, though :-) Just so I get this correct, there is a trim piece that runs along base of gutter rail?

The Line-X is an interesting idea. That may have to be a later project. I am looking at insulating/radiant barrier-like inserts between headliner and other internal inserts, both insulating heat as much as poosble but also serving for a little extra sound barrier from road noise. From what I read, the sound insulation factor is not height but for me that is secondary over reducing the heat as much as possible. It gets hot here in TX.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Catching up.

I misunderstood. You are building A RIG!!! Rapidly. Warn was the best choice. That ARB kit and a Warn winch will get you out of anything at SCARR. You can easily pull your truck up a tree, if you can find a tree big enough and the frame horns hold.

Rovers used to have White roofs to reflect but I Googled Discos with white roofs once and they did not look impressive, to my eyes. Black, in Texas, would definitely defeat your stated goal. But I am interested in the coating you mentioned. My roof has been sitting under the sun too long. Can you expand on it?

I vote for the Baja rack. Very nice.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Catching up.

I misunderstood. You are building A RIG!!! Rapidly. Warn was the best choice. That ARB kit and a Warn winch will get you out of anything at SCARR. You can easily pull your truck up a tree, if you can find a tree big enough and the frame horns hold.

Rovers used to have White roofs to reflect but I Googled Discos with white roofs once and they did not look impressive, to my eyes. Black, in Texas, would definitely defeat your stated goal. But I am interested in the coating you mentioned. My roof has been sitting under the sun too long. Can you expand on it?

I vote for the Baja rack. Very nice.
Yes, building a rig for sure. Every time I get into one project, someone mentions something else that I feel drawn to do :-)

As far as the roof liner goes, I was responding to LuckyJayb's post about him possibly using Line-X or a UV coating on the outside as he indicates the rack would essentially cover it anyway. If I did anything related to UV or insulation, it will be under the headliner.

Hoping to get the BajaRack on order this week.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Well my outlook on the line x roof was due to the fading paint. Thanks god it's aluminum up there. They have linex now that has the uv protectant so it doesn't fade like the bedliners do. The quote I got was just under $500 in Pelham, al for black up top. My disco is the silve with a hint of gold. I've redone my sunroofs and actually used the high temp rtv to seal it so no leaks and they will actually spray it all the way to the glass seal no I won't ever have to worry about a leak up there with the exception of the seal between the glass. I'm looking at actually doing the mossy oak shadow grass wrap for the old girl so I can take her hunting and it being in the matte finish, I wouldn't have to worry about the hood blackout kit for led lights on the roof rack. I was just concerned about the drip rails BC my long runs on each side are brittle and show signs where they got hit by hail. I've debated removing the completely and just have them linex them and below them. I'm in Alabama and just like Texas that heat will eat up that body sealant and better safe than sorry plus I wouldn't think the black roof would look to bad since I would have a black roof rack, full size of course, and help out so I wouldn't have to worry about doing nothing but hitting it with the pressure washer. Heck linex even has it now at some places where they can color match your vehicle with the uv resistant stuff. Just food for thought. I'm planning on building a rig for fun and hunting but still where I can have it as a back up work car. I'm looking at redoing the headline with the cordura nylon shadow grass and when I can get the time, I'll take it to sportsman camo covers and get them to make me a custom set. Had them in all my other keeps and f-150's and personally I think they are the best seat covers money can buy and the warranty is top notch

Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My opinions on the smittybilt is great winch, never had an issue on any of my buddies cars and they have been definitely tested. I just got one and so far I have used it 3 times and has worked flawlessly. One thing to note is I would not recommend the wireless controller. Although it's convenient, I've used to winches with them and the control tends to stick putting more tension on the line than I would have liked. The toggle releases fine but almost like it keeps sending signal for another 2 seconds. And that's a lot of your trying to stop the line.

If you decide to go with the Baja rack expedition rack know you will not be disappointed. I love mine. Sturdy, quality of the welds is top knotch and it looks great. The mounting hardware is strong, I have nothing bad to say about this rack.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Great looking rack. Heck you helped me dove one of my questions for a later date on that!!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlozano
If you decide to go with the Baja rack expedition rack know you will not be disappointed. I love mine. Sturdy, quality of the welds is top knotch and it looks great. The mounting hardware is strong, I have nothing bad to say about this rack.

That looks great. I'm in the market for one as well and this one is on my short list. Which vendor did you pick it up from?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Mudding

Great to hear! I did end up ordering one the BajaRack. They were running a promotion around Christmas so it was a no-brainer. It is due to arrive in the first week of February.

Thanks!