Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Racks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Racks

Hey Disco Amigos.........Was trying to fit my Yakima raingutter towers the other day- bought the highrise kit as presribed by the Yakima website, and they do not work. When tightening the ***** on the raingutter clamps, the back half of the clamp made contact with the body and would have left a dent had I not noticed it. Anyone had a similar experience, or know any tricks with these? I am wanting a full length rack and tried the Yaks since I already own a bunch of parts and components. Beyond that, what is a good source of reasonably priced full roof racks?
It takes a lot of crap to get the family to the river so any help will be appreciated.
Bob

Old 03-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roof Racks

I had the same issue. The safari windows in the back are in the way. I went with the bars that clamp to the existing rack and I like them very much. I have had no problems putting my canoe, snowboards, beds, and whatever else up there.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Mudding

I have always clamped my Yakima Q-Towers directly to the factory rack. I had the extended rails put on so I can mount my Mega-Warrior further back on the truck (quieter, easier to load from the rear bumper). Now I have bought the LR cross bars, so will start mounting my Mega-Warrior directly to those.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

I just installed this Yakima crossbar set up on my 96 discovery. The bars have to be attached to both towers and they have to be in the rain gutters. If you tighten the towers and they start getting close to the side of the vehicle you have readjust the length of the bars. Widen the span between the towers and try again. Another thing that might happen is the upper part of piece which grabs onto the rail when you are tightening the towers may get close to the vehicle. You have to hold it in place with your hands and tighten until friction keeps the piece where you want it and then continue to tighten the piece down.

Although I got this system to work I am not entirely happy with the set up. The clearance between the bars and the roof is less than an inch. If anyone has found a way to increase this clearance please let me know how.

Pedro

Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same yakima set up only I used the thule super-high foot gutter clamps and cross bars. I have heard that even the tall yakima gutter clamps aren't enough. With the thule I have several inches of clearance all around and can still use my sunroofs, plus my yakima load warrior will fit any crossbars. I would send the yakima back and get the thule super-high foot gutter clamps for atlantic british if I were you.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have both the LR cross bars (with extension rails) and a pair of Thule bars mounted on the 953 Super High Feet. The feet clamp to the outside edge of the rain gutters and offer just over 2" of clearance from the center of the roof.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My super high feet extend well over 2" above the roof... are you sure you don't have theregular high feet?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have thules, the clamps scraped up all my paint above the rain gutters, and rusted it, cost $400 body shop.thule gave me a full rebait, they have awsome customer support.