Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rattle - Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:55 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for passing the link around for the replacement rollers. What's involved in replacing them? Headliner down? Curious to hear what all needs be done if you're able to elabtorate. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angasreid
Thanks for passing the link around for the replacement rollers. What's involved in replacing them? Headliner down? Curious to hear what all needs be done if you're able to elabtorate. Thanks!
​​​​​​I didn't drop my headliner, I don't think you should have to. It's fairly straightforward. Looking from inside the truck - roll up the sunshade careful as they are brittle. The sunroof glass has a bracket on either side of it held on with two torx screws, one in the front and one in the rear. The bracket has a groove in it where a **** on the end of another bracket attached to the sunroof motor track (for lack of a better term) slides along. Based on the location of the **** in the track, when the sunroof motor is operated, the sunroof tilts or slides open. The **** has a little plastic roller on the end that is gone or damaged if your roof is rattling, which is what you are about to replace. The easiest way to do it would be to work on one side at a time. One lesson I learned is, don't operate the sunroof motor once the screws are out, it's a pain to get it to line up again - mine still isn't quite right, it catches the lock mechanism when you first open it - just sounds bad, but then is fine after that.
First, remove the rear torx screw on one side and loosen the front one. This is more tricky then it sounds as there isn't a lot of room to work. For the rear, I tilted the roof I think and than I have a small socket type driver that allows the bits to be installed through it, so that was shallow enough to access the rear screws, but not the front. Otherwise you can just use a torx bit and a wrench if you have one small enough or pliers to turn it (I used needle nose vice grips). Loosen but don't remove yet. Shift the roof back until there's room to access the front torx screw, but give yourself some room to still be able to access the rear, and then loosen the front as well. Than if you remove the rear screw completely (also can be done outside the truck from the top), you should be able to push the track bracket out far enough to put your new roller on and slip it back into the rail. It's a pretty snug fit, but it goes. Put the rear screw back in and snug, tighten the front, move it forward, tighten the rear and then repeat for the other side.

Them enjoy not having to wonder if your roof is going to fall off as you drive!!