Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella 15W-40 Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotella 15W-40 Synthetic?

I swapped my oil (5W-40 Synthetic like always) but am thinking of going ahead and draining it and go to 15W-40 for the summer months, but cannot find it in synthetic. Does it exist?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No it does not exist. They are basically the same oil except 5w-40 is better any time of the year, especially in the winter. Both are 40 wt oils but the 5w flows better when cold because it's synthetic. 15w is okay for summer because it's not so cold out, but a lower w is usually better for winter. So you can use either in the summer.

The following users liked this post:
mudpuppy229 (07-23-2017)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default good info to help you decide

Check out "Motor Oil University" on "Bob Is The Oil Guy"s website.

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

there are 10 chapters but it's a quick read with good info.

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Rotella 5w 40 is a full and legit synth with Zinc additives...

15w 40 is not... it is a synth blend and reduced zinc which is not ideal.

stick with the Shell T6 and your truck will be happy

Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88

So Rotella 15w-40 is not that ideal for our trucks? I thought that was the oil with Zinc additives. I live in Northern Ca, so no crazy weather fluctuations. Should I be using the 5/40 syn? I have the wonderful tick from my motor, so I am acutally using 20w-50 for now.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88

Rotelle T is not synthetic, not even in part. You are thinking of Rotella T3.

And Rotella T6 (I don't know why you switched to calling it "Shell T6", that's just confusing), the full synthetic one, passes the exact same restrictive tests that T and T3 pass - they have ALL had their ZDDP levels lowered.

It is not possible to get the levels of ZDDP that were in oils even a few years ago - not if they are passing the modern certification. If you really feel that the ZDDP levels aren't sufficient, you need to get supplements.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by DarylJ
......And Rotella T6 (I don't know why you switched to calling it "Shell T6", that's just confusing), the full synthetic one.....
Easy fella...saying T6 100% accurate. Shell was the one that changed their naming scheme to make things a little more easily identifiable, rather than just saying "the full synthetic one..." they now all have names. The old packaging has been discontinued and the new jugs will now have their names plastered right on the front.

For reference, to those that may be a little confused, here are what the jugs look like when you go to the store....

"T" is the HD stuff

"T5" is the synthetic blend

"T6"is the full synthetic

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Winching

You're missing T3, which I stil can't quite figure out how it fits into the product line, as they seem to keep changing it and adding CNG/LPG variants to it.

Bottom line, CJ-4 and CI-4 Plus has reduced the amount of ZDDP in ALL of them. Oil formulations have been changing at a crazy pace lately, mostly driven by the new diesel emissions standards.....manufacturers are coming out with motors that the lubricant manufacturers need to design for, yet the motos don't exist yet for them to test in. It's made for a ridiculous situation all around, and makes trying to figure out what's in the jug you bought an exercise in frustration, as its likely different from what was in the same jug a few months ago.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by DarylJ
You're missing T3, which I stil can't quite figure out how it fits into the product line.........

......It's made for a ridiculous situation all around, and makes trying to figure out what's in the jug you bought an exercise in frustration, as its likely different from what was in the same jug a few months ago.
The T3 seems to be marketed towards farming equipment and semi's so I very much doubt you'll run across it at the auto parts store, or even Wally World.

I agree the Shell labeling makes it annoying to find which Rotella to use. I just bought 3 very dusty gallons of the NON-T6 full synthetic Rotella, that Autozone had put on clearance due to the packaging being discontinued. Looked like it had been in their back storage room for a WHILE, but it's the same stuff as the "T6" as far as I know.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
3 very dusty gallons of the NON-T6 full synthetic Rotella, that Autozone had put on clearance due to the packaging being discontinued. Looked like it had been in their back storage room for a WHILE, but it's the same stuff as the "T6" as far as I know.
Yeah, that's exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about. Also the lack of package changes between some specs (other than the fine print on the back).

Sometimes it would be nice to drive something that doesn't have a flat tappet motor as to not have to worry about all of this garbage. But I've got two flat tappet motors to deal with.

Quick Reply: Rotella 15W-40 Synthetic?