Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rotella

Hi guys,

I have been using Rotella (not T6 because I haven't been able to find it) 15w-40 for the last 15k miles or so and I replaced the head gaskets in December.

Prior to the head gasket change, I could go a full mileage interval (3,500 miles) without losing a drop of motor oil. And last oil change (about 3 months ago) the dipstick showed full when the time came to change oil.

I check my oil, coolant, brake, and other fluids religiously. Yesterday, my oil was half way to empty. I had just checked it about a week prior and the dipstick read full.

Should I be concerned about anything? The oil appears to have been burned as I cannot find a leak, drip or any other sign of exterior leak. When replacing the head gaskets, I bought reconditioned heads with new valve seals and valves. I still have ~500 miles before I hit 3,500 since my last oil change. What do you think could be going on? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

half the capacity in a week = not normal lol

if there are no visibile leaks, its either being consumed and blown out the exhuast, or leaking front a point where it doesnt flow down from anywhere, or third, its hitting the exhuast pipes and burning off before you see a trail tell tail leak streak.

while its running and warm, pop the hood and look for smoke or smell, open the throttle abit, if the leak is only under a larger oil pressure, perhaps you wont see it at idle.

the back of the valve covers is a very common place to leak, and it drips down the rear of the motor, somtimes over the trans, might be hard to spot, espcially if it winds it way say down an o2 wire.

id recommend getting some uv dye for the oil and checking it out under/over at night with a uv flashlight.

only other place it could go is into the cyliders if its not an external leak, but if its a few quarts in a week? unless you are doing some serious highway miles, im pretty sure youd notice the smoke in the rear view, or atleast the smell at idle at that point!! but worth a double check.

forgot... try popping off the intake tube from the throttlebody and look for oil streaks from the blades or the idle bypass hose thingy, perhaps its regurgitating haha

Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, is the term "half way to empty" indicating 1/2 quart low on the stick? 1 quart per 1000 miles might not be unreasonable in a high miles engine. If blowing out a lot of oil you will usually find oil drops on the paint of the back of the vehicle, looks like dirty water spots. Of course on a Rover, this could be from a number of sources. The Rotella is great oil.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
half the capacity in a week = not normal lol
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! I will monitor it closely over the next few days, but I cannot find any oil on the exterior of the vehicle (paint or underside) and no puddles. I'm not sure whats going on, but I'll get to the bottom of it (pardon the pun). Thanks for the help.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If this is your first oil fill since the head gaskets were done dont worry about it, just keep it full.
The new gaskets and seals are soaking up the oil, once they are fully swelled with the oil the "leak" will stop.
I had the same problem when I switched to the Rotella, it stopped and now I use about 1 qt every 5,000 miles.
And just so you know, Rotella is a heavy duty motor oil, you can go 5,000 miles on one oil change no problem.