Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rotella Is Being Reformulated -Zinc

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Y'all, maybe I'm a little dense (or more), or perhaps too lazy to go look it up for myself, but is the full-dino Rotella the only one now with less or no ZDDP? How about the T5 syn blend and the T6 full-syn? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Y'all, maybe I'm a little dense (or more), or perhaps too lazy to go look it up for myself, but is the full-dino Rotella the only one now with less or no ZDDP? How about the T5 syn blend and the T6 full-syn? Thanks.
There isn't any conclusive evidence yet. The results are in for the new T6 here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...5w#Post4238740

It says 1140 ppm for zinc. So thats more or less the same as before.

I'm waiting to see a Virgin Oil Analysis for the T4. Everything else is conjecture

Old 12-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by CT090
I learned today from our oil rep that Rotella is now reformulated. I was told that T4 will have no zinc content whatsoever.
Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
There isn't any conclusive evidence yet.

In earlier post: I called Shell Technical and asked about the ZDDP content. He says its slightly higher than the replaced Rotella T.
In my experience oil rep = sales rep.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did an oil change today and filled up with the T5 synthetic blend with a mobil M1 301 filter. I also ran a half can of seafoam in the crankcase before draining. Motor runs great now...
the oil that came out was quite thick and dark so i guess the seafoam did something. I'll be doing the valve covers over christmas and looking fed to seeing how clean it is in there

Old 12-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
I did an oil change today and filled up with the T5 synthetic blend with a mobil M1 301 filter. I also ran a half can of seafoam in the crankcase before draining. Motor runs great now...
the oil that came out was quite thick and dark so i guess the seafoam did something. I'll be doing the valve covers over christmas and looking fed to seeing how clean it is in there
Have you always used the synthetic version in your D2?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Mudding

Nope. First oil change, but the PO ran T4 in it prior to me I beleive

Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Castrol has a diesel engine oil that has 1300ppm of zinc (pretty sure that's accurate). I think it's 15W-40 too. I haven't tried it personally but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have tried Rotella before. Never noticed a difference in anything really with the Castrol GTX that I usually use. Except that it got dark fast and it was more expensive. I am pretty sure that the regular GTX 10W-40 has 1000ppm of zinc. That's what I have been using for years and never had issues with it (2k mile intervals).

Old 12-12-2016, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The reason Rotella gets dirty fast is because it has detergents in it which suspend the grime from your engine so that it comes out when you change the oil rather than stays in there as sludge.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Mudding

Interesting that the Rotella got dark fast in your application... It points towards the extra detergents doing their job and cleaning out any buildup of gunk you may have had.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
Interesting that the Rotella got dark fast in your application... It points towards the extra detergents doing their job and cleaning out any buildup of gunk you may have had.
That's what I would have thought too, but the motor seemed clean before I used it (did headgskets right before using rotella). Very little varnish. So I'm not sure what's up with that. Maybe some sort of contaminant somewhere else in the engine. Never really thought much of it. This was 40k miles ago by the way.

On the subject of diesel oil, I have been using an additive called Archoil AR9100 for the past 5k miles. I know that this is a must have for Ford Powerstroke engines and other diesels for easier cold starts and a few other things I can't remember. Overall, it seems to make the motor run a little smoother which is one of its claims. I think it's a good additive to try to see if it makes a difference. I thought it was snake oil, but it actually makes the motor feel smoother.

Quick Reply: The Rotella Is Being Reformulated -Zinc