Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rotella Is Being Reformulated -Zinc

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
FWIW - if you are an amazon-er, which I am, they have a subscribe and save special on rotella T6 right now. Yes, the full syn sticky icky good stuff.

I get 1 gallon a month delivered to my door for $18.35. I use them for a lot of other household consumables, but that is by far the best deal I have ever found. You get a 15% discount after a few subscriptions.

I run it in my rover, my diesels, and even my race-built Ducati. They all love it.
Nice bikes eh

Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Dang, no news here eh? I checked Bobistheoilguy... no dice on a VOA yet.

Getting reaaal close to booting this engine up for the first time since May!

I'm nearing the completion of my 3-week saga a-la top-end rebuild, etc. and rolled the dice on the T4 reformulation. Will let you all know if it seizes up or the camshaft fails to shake hands with lifters.

Attached Thumbnails The Rotella Is Being Reformulated -Zinc-engine4a.png  
Old 01-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

If breaking in a new camshaft, you should use break in oil. I'm using the Comp Cams engine break in oil. I think its 10w30

Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Pro Wrench

If breaking in a new camshaft, you should use break in oil. I'm using the Comp Cams engine break in oil. I think its 10w30

I didn't replace the camshaft. I did remove the lifters and rods. R&R the lifters as there was absolutely zero plunging action. Everything went back where it came from minus a possible left/right side swap on one row. I'm paranoid that they won't work anymore LOL

Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench

I did do a little more research into the oil specs. The old formulation is CJ-4 and the new one is CK-4. CK-4 appears to allow for similar levels of zinc, but its not required. Also, for a few months Shell has been selling the new T4 with the old CJ-4 spec, apparently because the new spec did not go into effect until 12/1/2016. At which point, the formulation may change slightly yet again once the T4 bottles with the CK-4 spec arrive on the shelves. There's also a rumor that Ford wasn't happy with Shells new formula, and they are working together to slightly change it.
Not very useful info, but it's all I can come up with for now.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
I didn't replace the camshaft. I did remove the lifters and rods. R&R the lifters as there was absolutely zero plunging action. Everything went back where it came from minus a possible left/right side swap on one row. I'm paranoid that they won't work anymore LOL
Hear hear on the paranoia... I've had many sleepless nights over this rebuild, being it my first one ever. And if you look at my post history, it was only in May/June of last year that I was super worried / might pay a mechanic to install a new driveshaft because I wasn't sure I could do it. Things have changed a bit thats for sure.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Pro Wrench

I did do a little more research into the oil specs. The old formulation is CJ-4 and the new one is CK-4. CK-4 appears to allow for similar levels of zinc, but its not required. Also, for a few months Shell has been selling the new T4 with the old CJ-4 spec, apparently because the new spec did not go into effect until 12/1/2016. At which point, the formulation may change slightly yet again once the T4 bottles with the CK-4 spec arrive on the shelves. There's also a rumor that Ford wasn't happy with Shells new formula, and they are working together to slightly change it.
Not very useful info, but it's all I can come up with for now.

the way I approached the new blend is that the T-6 still has high level of zinc. there was no reason to lower the zinc in the T-4 blend in any place. From what I have read, HD diesel applications are not held to the same standard as the 5/10Ws, as diesel engines do require more substantial amount of those heavy phosphates. definitely no reason to lower it drastically, especially for those consumers who have used this product indefinitely and would be unsuspecting of any reformulation.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
the way I approached the new blend is that the T-6 still has high level of zinc. there was no reason to lower the zinc in the T-4 blend in any place. From what I have read, HD diesel applications are not held to the same standard as the 5/10Ws, as diesel engines do require more substantial amount of those heavy phosphates. definitely no reason to lower it drastically.
I concur. I'd feel fine using the new formulation as well. It can't be much different from the T6. But it would be nice to know for sure

Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Hear hear on the paranoia... I've had many sleepless nights over this rebuild, being it my first one ever. And if you look at my post history, it was only in May/June of last year that I was super worried / might pay a mechanic to install a new driveshaft because I wasn't sure I could do it. Things have changed a bit thats for sure.

the LR/Indy techs here in Dallas charge minimum $100/HR. Then stiff you with genuine parts marked up another 100%. I have no choice BUT to do my own wrenching and parts sourcing. m*th#r f*ck@rs

Old 02-02-2017, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Checked bob the oil guy today and was happy to see a VOA done on the 10w30 T4 ck-4. I suspect 15w40 will be pretty much the same.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...30#Post4304492

Verdict:

The following users liked this post:
zoltan7 (02-02-2017)

Quick Reply: The Rotella Is Being Reformulated -Zinc