Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotoflex coupler replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default rotoflex coupler replacement

ok guys trying to replace my rotoflex coupler today and I have a few questions, ok first the whole rear prop shaft has to come out to do this correct? and does anyone know off the top of there head what size the nuts are at the front of the prop shaft (the u joint side) and do I need a box end wrench to remove them (I cant seem to fit a socket on there). I already removed the nuts and bolts at the rotoflex coupler. This all seems to be pretty easy but is there anything I should be aware of before I get too far into this job? I have not received my new rotoflex yet it is scheduled to arrive today.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't HAVE to remove the prop shaft on the u-joint side.

Do you have a pry bar? If so, there is enough slack(just barely) in the slip shaft to be able to push it all the way in and remove the rotoflex.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

thank you I was wondering but I didnt want to break anything, I can get it extremely close by hand!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ok I got the shaft free and removed the rotoflex now does anyone have any idea how to get this bearing out of the end of the shaft? mine is in there pretty tight. also the arrows point the direction the bolt goes in correct, and is there a specific front or back to the piece or does that matter?

by the way don't know if anyone knows what kind of rotoflex I got but it says made in Germany on it.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If by bearing you mean the rubber bushing, I took the cave man approach, a chisel and hammer and cut it all the way down. then pulled it with pliers. And YES YES there is a side to the rotoflex, I ruined my first one. More than a side, it is a position. The torque should go to the "fat" parts, not to the skinny parts. Hard to explain, but.... if you look at your options, you'll figure out what I mean.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to replace3 my rotoflex, I unbolted all six bolts/nuts, what is next?

Can it be pried forward?

What is this about a bearing?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a centering bearing that comes with the rotoflex. It mounts on the end of the driveshaft, inside of the rotoflex. It gets pressed in. The old one needs to be pulled out, usually with a slide hammer.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
There is a centering bearing that comes with the rotoflex. It mounts on the end of the driveshaft, inside of the rotoflex. It gets pressed in. The old one needs to be pulled out, usually with a slide hammer.

Was not aware of that, guess I need to order one of those. My current rotoflex has a couple of small cracks, I may just bolt it back together for now until I can get a cwntering bearing. Does the DI have the centering bearing? Did not see that mentioned in the rave manual.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

its not a bearing it just kind of looks like one, it is more of a small metal cup with rubber inside it, and there is a "pin" on the differential side that sits in the middle of this rubber piece, that's what you have to pry the shaft back to get over to remove the rotoflex. after I pried the shaft back (actually forward towards the front of the truck) and got it off that pin then I had to remove the shaft from the slip shaft so I could remove that centering bushing with a little more room to work. be sure to mark the drive shaft in regards to the slip shaft so you can put it back on the way it came off, it felt keyed but better safe than sorry. that rubber bushing should come with a new rotoflex as they are to be replaced together.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the input.