Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle at startup

I have a 2000 DiscoII SD with 92,000 miles. It has been running great until a few days ago.

When I start it up now the service engine soon light flashes for about 15 seconds and then stays lit.

The idle is fairly rough after starting but if I drive it for a few miles it then appears to idle smoothly and run well.

The closest dealer to me is 2.5 hours away so I was hoping to get some feedback on what may cause this.

I thought that the flashing service engine soon light might indicate something as I never heard of this light flashing.

Prior to this the light never came on and all seemed normal.

I'd appriciate any thoughts on what might be the issue.

Thanks,

Art

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rough idle at startup

The quickest and surest way would be to head over to your friendly local "major chain" parts store and have those engine codes read. It shouldn't cost a thing. You might have to call around and see who has one.

Once that's done, post the codes here and I'm sure one of the board "elders" could clue you in.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Art,
I have a Disco I so it may be different, but on mine the service engine soon (SES) light is just telling you to take it in for service and it can be reset without a computer. The check engine light (CEL) means that something is wrong and a code or two have been thrown and you need an OBDII reader to read the codes and reset the light. But, if you've got codes, get 'em read. Like meltdown said, the major chains will usually read them for free (Autozone, Advance, etc).

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Art, go get your codes read ASAP from a local auto parts store and get back to us with the exact 4 digit fault codes. Do it today, cause I am afraid you may have a major issue. When you start up, are you getting a little white smoke from your exhaust, have you had to add coolant lately, do you smell any coolant?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the responses to all. I will get the codes read ASAP and post them here.

Mike,

I have no white smoke and I do smell antifreez but that is coming from the tube from the valve cover gasket on the drivers side.

I have a small drip that runs down and hits the manifold and I smell the antifreeze burn.

I might lose 1/2 " of antifreeze from the expansion take per month.

I've neverheard ofthe service engine soon light blinking, does that mean anything specific? It will blink for about 10 seconds after start up and then shine solid.

Truck seems to run fine after a few miles but will be rough at each startup.

I had new head gaskets put in about 10,000 miles ago and the truck has been great since then (until now).

What is the major issue that you fear I might have?

Thanks,

Art

Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I was concerned that you have a headgasket leaking coolant into one cylinder which causes a rough start and idle for a few seconds untill it burns of the excess moisture from one cylinder. That fact that you have had the head gaskets done is good, but, I am still concerned.
As for the light flashing, that is indicating you are having a major issue as far as the ECU is concerned.
Email me your tele number and a good time for me to call you if you have questions.
mikeljacobs@comcast.net