Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Routing ABS lines in front

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Routing ABS lines in front

When I replaced my ball joints three weeks ago I wasn't as careful as I should have been with my front ABS sensors. I didn't realize the innards were so delicate. Yesterday in our first rainstorm in a month I skidded quite spectacularly. I'm in a holding pattern on a major project--engine and transmission swap--so I am trying to figure out how big a deal the replacement will be.

After I ruined my ABS sensors I found a set on ebay, still in the OEM package, and got them for NINETY-NINE cents. Yeah. Amazing.

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway in the hope that I am wrong... can I replace the ABS lines without pulling the hubs? I should add that my truck is lifted but still has some slack in the lines after I took them out of one of the keepers.

Also, I basically pried my ABS sensors out of the cups on the hub. I was careful but when I saw what was inside I knew I had screwed up. What's the righ way to do it?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-20-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
When I replaced my ball joints three weeks ago I wasn't as careful as I should have been with my front ABS sensors. I didn't realize the innards were so delicate. Yesterday in our first rainstorm in a month I skidded quite spectacularly. I'm in a holding pattern on a major project--engine and transmission swap--so I am trying to figure out how big a deal the replacement will be.

After I ruined my ABS sensors I found a set on ebay, still in the OEM package, and got them for NINETY-NINE cents. Yeah. Amazing.

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway in the hope that I am wrong... can I replace the ABS lines without pulling the hubs? I should add that my truck is lifted but still has some slack in the lines after I took them out of one of the keepers.

Also, I basically pried my ABS sensors out of the cups on the hub. I was careful but when I saw what was inside I knew I had screwed up. What's the righ way to do it?
This may help Charlie. https://discoii.wordpress.com/2012/1...sensors-p1590/

I cannot remember exactly but the fronts defo require the discs and caliper to be removed for access to the sensor. Rears, hmmm, sorry can't remember

Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
This may help Charlie. https://discoii.wordpress.com/2012/1...sensors-p1590/

I cannot remember exactly but the fronts defo require the discs and caliper to be removed for access to the sensor. Rears, hmmm, sorry can't remember

Thanks, I thought so . I don't mind doing it but I was hoping there was a better way. My recollection from the ball joint job was that there is very little space around the CV boots and they don't really compress... and I want to EXTRA careful with these sensors, since I think I fouled the last ones (they are 16 years old, though... so time to freshen them up anyway). So pulling the tires, spacers, calipers and rotors will get me PART of the way. HAHA. Oh well.

Neither of my front rotors has a set screw anyway, and I feel a little guilty about not finding putting something in there a few weeks ago, so I'll fix that, too.

Thanks again for the response. I'll use the linked material when I do it, this weekend.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't worry about the set screws. They are only there so the rotors can't fall off as the vehicle is going down the assembly line before the wheels are installed.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Don't worry about the set screws. They are only there so the rotors can't fall off as the vehicle is going down the assembly line before the wheels are installed.
Well that's good to know. My driveway is no assembly line! Thanks!

But I have some little rattle underneath since the ball joints (sounds like dust shield) so it won't hurt to take it all apart and put some more threadlocker on it.

Thanks fellas.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Well that's good to know. My driveway is no assembly line! Thanks!

But I have some little rattle underneath since the ball joints (sounds like dust shield) so it won't hurt to take it all apart and put some more threadlocker on it.

Thanks fellas.
Dude! I got that exact same rattle after I replaced the ball joints on mine. Everything is tight on mine. But you are right about the sound. You can determine that it's a very thin and light piece of metal vibrating against something, such as that rotor shield for example. But like I said mine are bolted on tight. I can hear it when accelerating from a stop for just a couple of seconds and then it's gone away

Old 08-22-2015, 01:55 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Dude! I got that exact same rattle after I replaced the ball joints on mine. Everything is tight on mine. But you are right about the sound. You can determine that it's a very thin and light piece of metal vibrating against something, such as that rotor shield for example. But like I said mine are bolted on tight. I can hear it when accelerating from a stop for just a couple of seconds and then it's gone away
I have no clue what it is but that's the project for Saturday. I'll let you know what I find out. It sounds like the dust shields but I have poked and prodded them and they seem tight. It is driving me CRAZY.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Pro Wrench

I have no clue what it is but that's the project for Saturday. I'll let you know what I find out. It sounds like the dust shields but I have poked and prodded them and they seem tight. It is driving me CRAZY.
It really seems as though you and I are always encountering the same issues and/or making the same repairs or modifications on this Disco journey. Did we just become best friends?? If the next task on your list is draining and refilling the diffs and TC with new gear oil, then....? But I think you are already past that

Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Weren't you the one who posted the YouTube video from the Brit that explained the ball-joint replacement? I used that as a guide, myself. It was a life saver. I only screwed up once but my bro picked it out right away before I got any further in reassembly. He says not to stuff up the ABS sensor!

Old 08-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Weren't you the one who posted the YouTube video from the Brit that explained the ball-joint replacement? I used that as a guide, myself. It was a life saver. I only screwed up once but my bro picked it out right away before I got any further in reassembly. He says not to stuff up the ABS sensor!
I did. And I would have been lost without that video, too, even though I had to improvise a little.

I messed up my ABS sensors! But I got some OEM replacements on ebay, still in the bag, for 99 cents. Haha maybe I already said that, but it bears repeating. 99 cents!!!!!

Quick Reply: Routing ABS lines in front