Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Routing ABS lines in front

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
It really seems as though you and I are always encountering the same issues and/or making the same repairs or modifications on this Disco journey. Did we just become best friends?? If the next task on your list is draining and refilling the diffs and TC with new gear oil, then....? But I think you are already past that
Oh yes, and Texans to boot.

I did attend to my diffs but I'm going to do it, partially, again because I got those cool brass diff plugs and I need to put the o rings on them. My lift makes my diffs tilt a little so I stuff them with gear oil.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Oh yes, and Texans to boot.

I did attend to my diffs but I'm going to do it, partially, again because I got those cool brass diff plugs and I need to put the o rings on them. My lift makes my diffs tilt a little so I stuff them with gear oil.
Brass plugs and O-rings, check. I will have to track that down on Monday. Don't know which oil I'm going to use, yet. Any advice? I saw Royal Purple in-stock at the store. I'm going to look into it. Also going to look the breather tubes over and see what's up with that, along with my AC drains while I'm underneath. After this major service I'm down to small stuff like AC head unit light bulbs and stocking spare plugs, relays and switches. I have blue 8mm wires in there so PO replaced that and spark plugs, at least. I have body damage to the fender and hood; I hit somebody the 2nd week I owned it. Didn't even have my name on the title yet. Finally found a matching parts truck from TarHeel Rover Parts. He's sending the fender now and I will put a down payment on the hood. Hopefully nothing goes wrong and I will have a sharp-looking, reliable rig for years to come!

Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Brass plugs and O-rings, check. I will have to track that down on Monday. Don't know which oil I'm going to use, yet. Any advice? I saw Royal Purple in-stock at the store. I'm going to look into it. Also going to look the breather tubes over and see what's up with that, along with my AC drains while I'm underneath. After this major service I'm down to small stuff like AC head unit light bulbs and stocking spare plugs, relays and switches. I have blue 8mm wires in there so PO replaced that and spark plugs, at least. I have body damage to the fender and hood; I hit somebody the 2nd week I owned it. Didn't even have my name on the title yet. Finally found a matching parts truck from TarHeel Rover Parts. He's sending the fender now and I will put a down payment on the hood. Hopefully nothing goes wrong and I will have a sharp-looking, reliable rig for years to come!
Unless yours have been changed, the diff filler plugs are plastic that must be made of American Cheese. I have a thread somewhere with the link to the 3.50 brass. And 49 cent o rings. I use cheapo walmart 85w140 gear oil and i'm on year 16 of ownership with no diff problems. Just pull the nipples out of the center of the AC drains and you will be amazed at how well they drain (keep them... re usable) unless you ford water deeper than your transmission tunnel.

I wish I'd known you needed body stuff. I hauled my parts rover to a yard and it had EVERYTHING on it. Ugh. Would have been free.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-22-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Unless yours have been changed, the diff filler plugs are plastic that must be made of American Cheese. I have a thread somewhere with the link to the 3.50 brass. And 49 cent o rings. I use cheapo walmart 85w140 gear oil and i'm on year 16 of ownership with no diff problems. Just pull the nipples out of the center of the AC drains and you will be amazed at how well they drain (keep them... re usable) unless you ford water deeper than your transmission tunnel.

I wish I'd known you needed body stuff. I hauled my parts rover to a yard and it had EVERYTHING on it. Ugh. Would have been free.
what? Was it red? It has to be the same color as mine. It took me months to track this one down and I just got lucky. Long story. Body parts Alveston Red and good-to-excellent condition are rare for me. And DFW.

My AC puts down pretty good puddles as it is

I'm not fording any rivers but I try to use higher end stuff in this vehicle. Gives me more confidence but its all mental. I will take it, regardless!

Point me to that link with the diff. Parts, please

Old 08-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy

For some reason I can't get the link to cut and paste. Here's how I found them:

When you refill your differential you will be reminded of the crappy PLASTIC diff plugs. Go to Rovah Farm and order the brass ones "search for rad plug brass" and a few of the related o rings. They are 3.50 each plus 49 cents for each o ring. They fit.

They are the same as the 15 dollar ones!

Old 08-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Camel Trophy

The parts rover was PERFECT. I almost swapped my stuff into it but I just couldn't do it.

It was green. A Christmas theme for you.

Actually, check out the plasti dip thread....

Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Ight, appreciate it!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Camel Trophy

I am a lazy slacker and did nothing yesterday (no, wait... I watched movies... that's something. No land rovers in the new Mad Max movie btw... hope that doesn't ruin it).

Getting my finest clothing on now to tackle the ABS lines and find that rattle. I'll post a few pictures if I learn anything that might be of benefit.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy

Pretty much in the middle of it now. I thought I could leave the axles in and snake it through. Nope. Won't work. So I've got one side off and the new sensor in place. I have no clue where the other end connects but I guess I'll figure that out.

Name:  20150823_115304.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  535.4 KB

Old 08-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Done.

Quick Reply: Routing ABS lines in front