Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rover to the rescue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default A Rover to the rescue

Ok, I must say that my 1997 Land Rover Discovery is the second most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned, my 2001 Mitsubishi was the most reliable.
Last fall while I was laid off she sat for 3 months, fired right up the day I needed her to.
This last winter I pulled a mini van out of the ditch.
A womans car died on her way to the mall, pulled her into the parking lot out of harms way. (she was stuck in a major intersection)
Fuel pump on the wifes Volvo went out and the truck stepped up to family duty.
My 17 year old sons truck died, used a dolly and towed his 5400lb truck to the scrap yard.
Neighbors battery went dead, he left his lights on, gave him a jump start. (and yes, these are the people who I cannot stand)
No matter how deep the snow is, how deep the flooded streets are, how hot or cold no matter what she starts right up the first time every time and does whatever I ask of her, she doesnt complain, never gives me any major trouble...nothing.
Change the oil once in awhile, give her good gas and tell her that she is beautiful and that I still love her and there she is, always by my side ready to go anywhere I want and do anything that I ask.
God I love my Land Rover, she is perfect just the way she is.

Last edited by Spike555; 03-21-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One of the coolest things I have ever seen,

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ok, I must say that my 1997 Land Rover Discovery is the second most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned, my 2001 Mitsubishi was the most reliable.
Last fall while I was laid off she sat for 3 months, fired right up the day I needed her to.
A womans car died on her way to the mall, pulled her into the parking lot out of harms way. (she was stuck in a major intersection)
My 17 year old sons truck died, used a dolly and towed his 5400lb truck to the scrap yard.
Neighbors battery went dead, he left his lights on, gave him a jump start. (and yes, these are the people who I cannot stand)
No matter how deep the snow is, how deep the flooded streets are, how hot or cold no matter what she starts right up the first time every time and does whatever I ask of her, she doesnt complain, never gives me any major trouble...nothing.
Change the oil once in awhile, give her good gas and tell her that she is beautiful and that I still love her and there she is, always by my side ready to go anywhere I want and do anything that I ask.
Reading that brought this to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vb5KO7BxLQ

Maybe it's just me, but it gives me goosebumps every time.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my rover too...

even though it left me stranded in new orleans last sunday...

Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Left you stranded, what happened?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by discoxd
i love my rover too...

even though it left me stranded in new orleans last sunday...
X2. Starter.

I give mine a firm pat on the dash every once in a while and say "Good truck"

Gotta love it otherwise it wouldn't be worth some of the kinks here-and-there. My Rover gets waxed on a regular basis, the wife's minivan just gets washed.

Funny story, but the one time it stranded me I MIGHT have deserved it.....

We were comming out of a restaurant and a lifted diesel truck drove by. I pointed and told the wife that is what I wanted when I bought the Rover. When I tried to leave the parking lot, the Rover would not start. A tow bill and a new starter later I made an agreement with her: I will stand by her side and she will return the favor.

Last edited by NW_rockhound; 03-22-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Mudding

Even worse, I get along better with the truck than my wife!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a few more verses and we'll have a country song here!

All kidding aside, I love my Rover too. It's something you can't really explain to others when they ask. It could be argued that the smart money is elsewhere, but there's something about that truck... All these years I've told my wife that we wouldn't buy a BMW because of maintenance and reliability and then I come home with a Rover... Needless to say, she's already told me her/our next car will be a BMW! It wasn't a tough argument for her to win, I've lusted after the E39 version of the M5 for over 10 years now!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Drink a beer and kick the *** of the guy who shot my dog after I get out of prison.

Now we have a country song.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Rover and so does my wife, she just doesn't love it as much as me. She thinks I'm a total dork cuz I spend so much time on the internet, and mostly, it's browsing Rover forums and the like. Oh well, my truck never argues with me or rolls her eyes at me. Good truck. Ironically, my wife is the one that named the truck Bridget.