Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rover trouble AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rover Trouble

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Why are you guessing and making others guess over the phone/net? Go to Autozone or any other car parts store and use their code reader... Google the code definitions... Then you will know if it is something you can fix or not.

BTW broke and unemployed is no time to be starting an affair with a high maintenance woman or a Land Rover...
Thanks for the advice I have't been to advance or auto zone for diagnostics, because check engine light is not on...I think someone possibly disabled it though, so I'm gonna go today and see if they will run diagnostics.
OH, BTW I am a WOMAN-not high maintenance & I wasn't unemployed when I bought this Rover--which FYI bought from preacher who totally lied about all the issues i've had!!! Again thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by roverRN27
Thanks for the advice I have't been to advance or auto zone for diagnostics, because check engine light is not on...I think someone possibly disabled it though, so I'm gonna go today and see if they will run diagnostics.
OH, BTW I am a WOMAN-not high maintenance & I wasn't unemployed when I bought this Rover--which FYI bought from preacher who totally lied about all the issues i've had!!! Again thanks
No one said you were high maintainance........They were making a joking relating land rover ownership to having an affair with a high maintainance woman.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
4wd High

Thanks, the throttle body cleaning is what a mechanic I called suggested it could be.
I don't know how hard it is tro get to, but saounds like a good start! She's firing up and running in driveway w/o any issues...gonna drive her today and see what happens!
Also, my check engine light is not on, but i think its been disabled cause it doesn't come on with key turn, so i'm hoping i can get auto zone to run diagnostic anyway!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
4wd High

Thanks to everyone's suggestions had dude loook at it last nite he really isn't a Rover mech., but he tries..anyway he did say possibly CPS too. I'm gonna start with the DIY tips 1st and see what happens!!
Thanks from TN

Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks to everyone's suggestions had dude loook at it last nite he really isn't a Rover mech., but he tries..anyway he did say possibly CPS too. I'm gonna start with the DIY tips 1st and see what happens!!
Thanks from TN
Autozone has a spray can of throttle body cleaner for under $5 and it works great. I just used some this Monday. Just remove the black plastic intake going to it and you should be good to go. Make sure you get both sides of the butterfly. If you have the time you can remove the 4 bolts to the throttle body and that will allow you to turn it in your hand and get the back side clean. On mine that side was far dirtier than the outside.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
4wd High

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE MANUALS! i GOT ADVANCE AUTO TO RUN DIAGNOSTIC EVEN THOUGH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DISABLED-RETURNED 9 CODES 2 WERE 02 SENSOR ON EACH BANK 1 WAS evaporative control system leak, 1 was cylinder 4 misfire, 1 -CPS sensor a, 1 was misfire with low/empty fuel drive c and 1 was bank 2 system too lean? and P0174 undetectable-looked it up havent found that yet. Anyway gonna try throttle body & tune-up. Also, plan on calling dude that sold me this Rover, and question him about check engine light being disabled! Its my understanding that is against the law! Anyway thanks again. OH last nite cold started-then wouldn't even run 5 minutes in drive?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

P0174 - Bank 2 system to lean. You have a leak somewhere after your mass air flow sensor. Would also cause the o2 sensor codes.
like everyone else has said. You need the CPS. cleaning the throttle plate isn't going to do anything. Then we move onto finding out where your massive leak is.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give the actual codes not the advanced/autozone translations (most are wrong)

Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
4wd High

ok codes are--p0455, P0335, P0134, P1590, P0150, P0304, P1319, P1174 & P0174. I changed my plugs today which were nasty-not the cure but dang sure didn't hurt!
Cold started great ran about 13 minutes died--during that time I started hearing a loud "gurgling" sound. THE sound was more significant when I was giving it a lttle gas to keep her running. Air? Anyway I found a mech referred by friend taking her in Mon--I told him all the code issues & he said possible intake leak? I hope its not more than 1 sensor!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE MANUALS! i GOT ADVANCE AUTO TO RUN DIAGNOSTIC EVEN THOUGH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DISABLED-RETURNED 9 CODES 2 WERE 02 SENSOR ON EACH BANK 1 WAS evaporative control system leak, 1 was cylinder 4 misfire, 1 -CPS sensor a, 1 was misfire with low/empty fuel drive c and 1 was bank 2 system too lean? and P0174 undetectable-looked it up havent found that yet. Anyway gonna try throttle body & tune-up. Also, plan on calling dude that sold me this Rover, and question him about check engine light being disabled! Its my understanding that is against the law! Anyway thanks again. OH last nite cold started-then wouldn't even run 5 minutes in drive?
oh my...what sort of preacher was this guy?!?! sounds like he unloaded a lemon on you. Check your states lemon laws as there may be some recourse there. But if may be difficult to prove, court filings cost money, attorneys cost even more, etc., etc.

economically speaking, probably not worth it to pursue recourse through the courts (not saying its right) and you should take the money you would have spent fixing and learning about your truck and learning something that can't be bought and you stop needing as soon as you get it; experience!

Quick Reply: rover trouble AGAIN