Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RTE 3" HD vs TF 3" HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RTE 3" HD vs TF 3" HD

Does anyone have any first hand experience w/ the ride quality between the two springs?

I have 3" TF HD springs currently and the ride is really rough. Am thinking about moving over to the RTE's. Anyone know if the RTE's ride smoother than TF HD's?

I just picked up an bone stock uber clean '04 , I'm getting ready to swap over a lot of "gear" from my wrecked '01 and would consider ponying up for the RTE's if they offer a softer ride.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

RTE's are a better quality coil set which usually are in fact taller then advertised.
You need to realize, anything over 3"s will not ride like a limo if you are looking for a true off road vehicle.
Just curious, what sort of trails are you planning to tackle? Also if you plan on running a 3plus " lift better check to make sure it will fit into your garage, I needed to modify my garage door some to fit mine in and under ground parking can be a little touchy sometime.
Also who's shocks are you going to be using?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
RTE's are a better quality coil set which usually are in fact taller then advertised.
You need to realize, anything over 3"s will not ride like a limo if you are looking for a true off road vehicle.
Just curious, what sort of trails are you planning to tackle? Also if you plan on running a 3plus " lift better check to make sure it will fit into your garage, I needed to modify my garage door some to fit mine in and under ground parking can be a little touchy sometime.
Also who's shocks are you going to be using?
Mike! it's been awhile, welcome back!

I've accepted the not so smooth ride offered from taller springs and am okay w/ the non-Cadillac ride. But, was hoping I could "spring" into a softer spring w/o sacrificing my current ~3" over stock ride height.

I typically run rocky / muddy / off-camber trails.

The SD rack prevents me from gaining entrance into garages.

I'm running TF +2" w/ disconnected sways. I plan to swap them out a little further down the road w/ something more suitable.

Last edited by coors; 07-11-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I don't think you'll see any improvement in ride quality. HD springs ride the best when heavily laden. The best my 3" springs ever rode was with 3 guys in the truck, a weekend worth of camping gear, and our 3 bikes on a hitch rack.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
I don't think you'll see any improvement in ride quality. HD springs ride the best when heavily laden. The best my 3" springs ever rode was with 3 guys in the truck, a weekend worth of camping gear, and our 3 bikes on a hitch rack.
I was afraid of that... Guess I gotta find me a big booty girl

Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Does anyone have any first hand experience w/ the ride quality between the two springs?

I have 3" TF HD springs currently and the ride is really rough. Am thinking about moving over to the RTE's. Anyone know if the RTE's ride smoother than TF HD's?

I just picked up an bone stock uber clean '04 , I'm getting ready to swap over a lot of "gear" from my wrecked '01 and would consider ponying up for the RTE's if they offer a softer ride.

I have the RTE 3" and used to have the RTE 2". Both are pretty dang stiff. I am not sure ANY shock choice would help. I have run several types and it always ride like a wagon on concrete wheels.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

As said ealier unless your truck is alway loaded down you might want to rethink HD springs

Old 07-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by drowssap
As said ealier unless your truck is alway loaded down you might want to rethink HD springs
Noted. But that's not gonna happen. I'll keep a rotating stock of mouth guards on hand for my passengers.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

You could always do a 2" medium lift with 1" spacers, I've heard of several guys doing that. Just a thought.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
You could always do a 2" medium lift with 1" spacers, I've heard of several guys doing that. Just a thought.
That's what I did. 3" of lift with a MD spring.

Quick Reply: RTE 3" HD vs TF 3" HD