Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Boards...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Boards...

As my search for a used 03-04 Disco has progressed, I noticed I have become very partial to the look w/ the running boards (steps, is that what they are called?)...I have found myself looking more at the vehicles that have them which is probably ridiculous. Anyway, Are they an expensive add-on? where and how much?...Thanks for any info.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

They're probably not expensive but if you plan to take the truck off-road at all you don't want them. They will reduce your ground clearance and get you hung up on stuff that the truck would clear with no problem without them. I had factory running boards on my truck when I bought it and thought they were worthless. They provided too small of a step to actually be useful, especially with works boots that I usually wear. Running boards seem to be really common on D2s. I guess most people that drive D2s don't really take them off road. I know that's the case around Denver where D2s are dime a dozen.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Rock Crawling

You want the one's off mine? I'll sell 'em to ya at a good price. I took mine off roading last Sunday, and while we don't have a lot of rocky trails around here, I was very aware of them during a rocky creek crossing. The step is actually big enough for a man's boot, and if I get rid of them, I'll have to invest in a set of sliders with a step as my wife has forbade me to not have some sort of step on the Rover, and my son uses them in getting in and out of the back seat.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just took mine off and sold them, and I LOVE the way it looks and I cant wait to see the difference off road. That being said, if you dont plan on off roading, they are a nice thing to have. DAP-Inc has pretty fair prices on their's:

http://www.dap-inc.com/acc/app/d2/d2...ite.shtml#step

Atlantic british also has a huge selection, but are just a bit more expensive:

http://www.roverparts.com/Nxt/search...&doSearch.y=14

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks guys for the advice...Im still waiting to purchase an actual vehicle so I wont know whether I need them or not until I do so. If in fact I do, what would you be looking to get for yours Rover Curious? Im in Boston area and Im sure shipping isn't cheap. Also, if I buy an 03-04 w/out the runners, will I have to drill holes? or will it be ready and allset for mounting? I am not a handy guy to say the least. Thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling

OK, the brand new ones just like mine on AB are $599.95 + shipping, mine are missing a few trim pieces, I'd say $250 plus shipping to you. You should not have to drill any holes to mount them to your future truck. I looked at taking mine off before the trip last weekend, but decided against it since it was just one day of off road, compared to the ragging I'd get from my wife every day for not having them.