Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running wire for a camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running wire for a camera

Installing a backup camera and planning the route for wiring- appears any way I go is a pain.

What's the best route to do this? I really do not want to go wireless if I can help it, so the direct wire route would be best for now. The camera goes in the bumoer and up thru the right railight into the cabin, that much is easy. So now better to go up thru the headliner or is there a way to get the sills up by the door and route the wiring that way to the dash? I really, really do not want to take off the headliner for now.

How do those sills that under the doors come off? I looked over the Rave manual for an hour and it really didn't help with it, maybe I just missed it somewhere.

And if I cannot go that route can I get it thru the headliner just by getting some of the trim pieces off?

Any specifics would help a lot.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Mudding

But I guess I will also order a wireless transmitter and receiver and see how the quality is. Still would like to hear someone's experience routing the cable.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I'd like to do this in the future, and was thinking wireless is probably the way to go.

Where are you putting the camera? You could do it on the license plate, in the bumper or on the rear window brake light. If you do it on the bumper you could just follow the wires up and through the firewall and behind the dash.

I am considering eventually going for the rearview mirror cam and wiring it that way. I am leaning towards a camera mounted on the rear window brake light as I would like a steel bumper eventually.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Mudding

It's an Audiovox camera that will go in the bumper. Even if it's steel it is easy enough, very small hole. I plan on going in the back where the right tail light is- good access there for me. I may just use the wireless and leave it in that access in front pf the tail light but want to make sure the image is stable and clean via the wireless first.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I considered doing this for a while, and still plan to do the same thing for a CB. I'd drop the headliner and run it that way. Should only take you about 45 minutes to an hour.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeLena
It's an Audiovox camera that will go in the bumper. Even if it's steel it is easy enough, very small hole. I plan on going in the back where the right tail light is- good access there for me. I may just use the wireless and leave it in that access in front pf the tail light but want to make sure the image is stable and clean via the wireless first.
If you are putting it in the bumper the wires for the tail lights etc would take you all the way up to the firewall, and the you can get it up trim on the side of the windshield. I am afraid there won't be any easy way to do it, but if you have a set of panel separators that will probably help. Also, I wouldn't think tucking it behind the headliner up there would be that difficult.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have mine mounted under the 3rd brake light inside the rear window. Ran the wire from through the boot from the cargo door to the body, up the D pillar and along the passenger side headliner, just in past the edge, then down the A pillar. Easy enough, and only removed about 2 screws for the whole job. (huge cargo area trim piece)

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (07-11-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You can run wires underneath the door treadplates.

Callouts #9, #10, and #11 in this diagram -