Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust proof paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Rust proof paint

I’d like to start a thread on rust proofing the underbody of the disco’s. I originally used por15 but after about a year or two is is slowly starting to peel and I think I’m going to be re doing the entire underside again. My truck has absolutely zero rust no matter where you look and I plan to keep it that way . Is there any suggestions for coatings . I’ve also heard of a spray you put inside your frame has anyone ever used it . I will post pictures of what it looked like when I first did it . I plan to use pot-15 semi gloss instead of gloss like I used before .

Old 02-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

This is what I plan to do next to give it a more original look

Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here’s a couple products to consider

Ive used Por15 way back pre 2000 when I was restoring an old army bus from the green lagoon. The actual guy that made the stuff came hauling a trailer to deliver it in California, before you could buy it anywhere.
Awesome product but don’t forget that once you paint with Por15 you can’t paint over it.

This stuff is excellent, I keep it around always, It’s also paintable. I Get it at Harbor Freight.

I recently picked up a couple cases of this & test sprayed some rusty yard ornaments that are somewhere buried under the snow awaiting spring for inspection. Other items test sprayed not buried are holding up awesome so far. Note that you can’t paint over zink ***** nilly. You will need special coatings that will adhere to zink or just settle for the full grey.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner frame / cavities inside doors etc

Transmission fluid, ya can’t hardly clean that stuff off anything.
Also mineral oil, no oder, get it at the local pharmacy, it’s inexpensive.
I also remember reading something about Vasoline for rustproofing which seems like a good use for that stuff because I have no idea what else it’s useful for. Maybe dipping a Phillips screwdriver or socket in it to hold the screw or bolt from falling away, I use 3m green laquer tape for that conundrum.