Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s&m lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s&m lights

Hi,
I tried to search this but I didnt find anything. I have a 2000 disco with 138k. For the past week or so it has been turning over but not starting. Then I can go back to it an hour or so later and it starts up fine and drives fine. This afternoon I tried to start it and it would not start then the s&m lights came on and started flashing. The temp gauge pegged up even though the truck was cold and the red temp light came on. A few hours later it started up fine, But the s&m lights continued to flash I shifted it into drive and the red light by the D started flashing. I turned it off. I wanted to see what you guy's think before I have it looked at. Thank's in advance for any info.
Sean

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can always tell a new person by how they start their thread. This is a very common issue and ou need to try harder in the future.
You have 2 things wrong, possibily a battery/charging issue and also a starting issue, possibly a failing crank sensor.
First go to a local parts store and have them do a free charging system test on your truck and get back to us with the voltage numbers.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would agree with Mike on crank shaft position sensor possible, and battery, but as well may also have coolant sensor unplugged -

1. Coolant temp sensor has failed (out of range) or is unplugged, will show cold or hot gauge and hot light on, no matter if engine is cold or hot. From RAVE:

In the event of an ECT sensor signal failure any of the following symptoms may be observed:

Difficult cold start.
Difficult hot start.
Driveability concern.
MIL illuminated.
Instrument cluster temperature warning lamp illuminated.
Temperature gauge reads excessively hot.
Temperature gauge reads excessively cold.
Cooling fan will not run.

This sensor is on top of engine. Can confirm with a code reading scanner, coolant temp will show up. Pix attached from RAVE. Disconnect temp will read like -40 F.

2. Sounds like M&S flashing and you are about in limp home mode. MAy take two drive cycles to show up.

From RAVE:

If a fault is detected, the EAT ECU immediately stores a fault code and the values of three operating parameters
associated with the fault. Depending on the fault, there are four possible effects:
The fault has little effect on gearbox operation or vehicle emissions. The driver will probably not notice any
change and the warning lamps remain extinguished.

The fault has little effect on gearbox operation but may effect vehicle emissions. On NAS vehicles, if the fault is
detected on a second consecutive drive cycle, the MIL illuminates.

All gears are available but kickdown does not function. The sport and manual warning lamps flash. The MIL
remains extinguished.

Limp home mode is selected and vehicle performance is greatly reduced.

The sport and manual warning lamps
flash. In all markets, if the fault is detected on a second consecutive drive cycle, the MIL illuminates.

3. M&S can show up for a variety of tranny codes. Also can show up for weak battery, under 9 volts for a moment when vehicle is running.

From RAVE:

Code 1562

* Battery supply below
9V while engine
running
Maintains current gear in low range, limp
home mode in range. Shift pressure to
maximum, harsh gear shifts/engagement.

CEL = off, M&S = on. Note - this is the only tranny code that does not turn on the check engine light.

So have battery tested if you don't have a volt meter, and check that sensor near alternator.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant sensor pix.PDF (317.7 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-30-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been very busy at my business for the past two weeks and I just now had a chance to get back to looking into this. I did start it a few times over the last week or so and it started right up but the s&m lights were still blinking and it wouldnt go in drive. Then today it cranked right up with no flashing lights, so I took it down to advanced auto the service engine light has been on since this started. The battery was at 12.46 the altenator was at 13.49 with no load. The code was P0600 communication link malfunction. Is 13.49 a little low? What does a communication link malfunction mean?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Code is for wiring issue between tranny ECU and main ECU, on what is called the CAN bus. Would cause m&S to flash, etc. Pages attached from RAVE about this and the gauge reads hot when engine cold issue.

Attached Files