Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safari snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Safari snorkel

I have a safari snorkel that I am looking to put on my 04 Disco. If anyone has one, could you tell me if there is a big difference in wind noise from the snorkel? I do a lot of highway driving with my rig right now and was wondering if I should wait until I am using it mostly for trailing to install the snorkel. It seems that every disco that I have owned has had some type of wind noise in the drivers doors when I am on the highway and the wind is blowing really hard in certain directions. I hate having too much noise and was wondering if this would only add to the wind noise at this time. Any input from someone with a snorkel would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YES. It will make the wind noise unbearable. You should sell it to me. I'll give you $300, shipped.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

snorkels look cool but are only really useful on non-electronic controlled diesels

Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
snorkels look cool but are only really useful on non-electronic controlled diesels
"Snorkel" is a misnomer. It's a raised air intake. Designed for dusty conditions, not for wading.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by csbd
"Snorkel" is a misnomer. It's a raised air intake. Designed for dusty conditions, not for wading.
Thanks Webster The OP lives in Arizona (dry, dusty climate if memory serves) and did not mention anything about wading.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Thanks Webster The OP lives in Arizona (dry, dusty climate if memory serves) and did not mention anything about wading.
Yes, but NiteTrain did.. at least I inferred that from the post.

Still a good question from the OP about wind noise either way.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by csbd
Yes, but NiteTrain did.. at least I inferred that from the post.

Still a good question from the OP about wind noise either way.
Touche' reread my post, didn't mean to come off as a jacka$$, my apologies

It is a good question, I would assume at highway speeds there would HAVE to be pretty noisy, as least a loud "whoosh" sound from the air getting sucked in?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Disco Fever- If decide not to install it I will keep you in mind. BUT chances are very unlikely that it will not go to good use. I am assuming it will make some noise but I would like to know from experience on how much. As for some of the above posts... I do not plan on doing much under water adventuring but I have read many times that it does lower the temperature of the air being sucked in because it is not near the engine compartment which is know to have unbearable heat. Living in Arizona I thought it could help with the air intake temperatures since it does get pretty dang hot here in the summers.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have one, but based on past experience with cold air intakes I've installed on cars I've owned, I'd say it's safe to assume that it is going to make a fairly significant amount of noise just by virtue of it sticking up along your A-pillar and disrupting air flow. That will be what you hear most.

Since you aren't really doing anything to force more air into the system the noise of the wind resistance is going to be louder than the air being drawn in. Unless you are going to make other changes to allow the engine to breath easier (i.e.- K&N filter <--bad idea, kills Rover MAF) or otherwise force more air into it (i.e.- turbo <--maybe in another vehicle, but probably not on a Rover), I wouldn't expect the noise of air actually entering the snorkel to be notable even when sitting still.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Discos aren't the quietest in terms of wind noise and road noise, adding a snorkel or a raised air intake is not going to make a big difference. Sure you'll get some added noise, just turn up the music.