Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sagging headliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
yeah I was wondering about that. Most I have done before are pretty straight forward. This one looks like a bear.
It can be 'très difficile' AR. It really depends on the quality of the new headliner material sandwich and the prep of the grp backing. The spray adhesive is critical and I've used 3M's glue, not cheap but good glue. It's best to do the fitting in 2 halves not attemp it in one mad panic. Lay out the material on the grp backing to ensure it's central allround with it pushed roughly into shape then fold back the half you are going to stick down. Ensure you have good quality tools, craft knives, scissors, rubber and wood/plastic seam rollers, ball shaped rollers but most of all ensure they are all spotlessly clean. Make sure you have the adhesive remover for any errors or clean ups and also have a supply of medical type latex gloves which are better for grip and keeping everything clean. Have fun

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I give up on installing this fabric. Ripped everything off. Sometimes it's best to just pay the pro's. Ordering 3 more yards and will take it someplace.

On a positive note during the time I thought the glue was tacking I replaced my passenger window motor so that's good haha

Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jnj
I give up on installing this fabric. Ripped everything off. Sometimes it's best to just pay the pro's. Ordering 3 more yards and will take it someplace.

On a positive note during the time I thought the glue was tacking I replaced my passenger window motor so that's good haha
Hi, it's a difficult task and sometimes better left for the pros, in recognising this is half the battle. Removing and replacing the headliner is probably the greater part of the job so relining of the grp should be relatively inexpensive. Might I suggest if you have sunroofs it's a good time to ensure they are sealed properly and the drain tube spigots aren't broken and are secure.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Jnj
Three Wheeling

Taking the headliner out was easy. Putting it back in will be just as easy. It's gluing this foam backed material proving to be difficult. If I had used a regular piece of cloth or painted it I would be done by now.

I have inspected my drain tubes and no problems with them. I also installed 04 roof rails since I had the liner out.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

"Ya gots to know your limitations" I have done a few headliners and I was never satisfied with the end results. I don't fit in some of those tight spots. I think I will leave the new liner installation to the pros on this truck. Looks too nice otherwise.

My other projects I didn't really care too much about them and I sprayed some glue up in there only to have it let go a few weeks later. So out came the Straight pins (not a good choice either) I like the idea of the upholstery pins.

I believe I have an aftermarket sunroof that doesn't open. I think to fix it, I need to have the glass open. Not too sure how that is going to work yet...

Old 04-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Jnj
Three Wheeling

Finally got my headliner installed. Paid to have the fabric glued and then I installed back in. Here's two shots. I have to say, I LOVE having suede as my headliner. It really makes the roof seem complete and its so classy
Name:  5AE16CC0-8F5B-418B-AF9B-81746BA15E72_zpsoousu3vq.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  130.0 KB

Name:  334B800E-BA9B-4368-A638-44D719541BFC_zpsymtlubit.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  291.5 KB

Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Like the RC aircraft Jnj ........................... oh, the headliner ain't bad either

Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! Quick question, how complicated was it to remove the headliner? I am going to have to do this sometime soon... do I need any special tools?

Hope mine turns out as nice as yours

Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Very nice

Originally Posted by Jnj
Finally got my headliner installed. Paid to have the fabric glued and then I installed back in. Here's two shots. I have to say, I LOVE having suede as my headliner. It really makes the roof seem complete and its so classy

Old 04-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Guys, guys, guys. For the gazillionth time, just strip off the old fabric and foam and adhesive and paint the headliner. Denatured alcohol strips it clean and the fiberglass shell has a wonderful pebbled finish for the paint. Prime it with kills and then use two coats of a good exterior latex.I painted mine several years ago and it still looks perfect. And it will never, ever sag again.

Attached Thumbnails Sagging headliner-headliner-paint.jpg  

Last edited by mln01; 04-05-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Sagging headliner