Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAI plumbing removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SAI plumbing removal

I have my intake off right now to replace my coil packs and I'm kind of tired of looking at all this extra Plumbing for the secondary air injection. The pump has long gone out on mine so I've just unplugged it to avoid hearing it whine. I've had no issues in performance and I'm not concerned about gas mileage can I just cap off these two hose ends coming out of the engine on each side to run without it causing any serious issues?

Old 01-02-2023, 07:43 PM
Drifting

And would I be able to get rid of this as well. I don't mind the SES light being on

Old 01-03-2023, 02:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 438 Likes on 298 Posts

yes, you can remove everything...won't matter unless required by state inspection....don't need to cap off the valve fittings....

Old 01-03-2023, 11:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by XRAD
yes, you can remove everything...won't matter unless required by state inspection....don't need to cap off the valve fittings....
sweet! Thank you. I was worried leaving them open would cause some vacuum issues

Old 01-03-2023, 11:54 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

you can sell the parts

Old 01-03-2023, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 438 Likes on 298 Posts

Well........the ECU will still trigger the SAI vacuum control solenoid, so you should cap the outlet going to the two exhaust air injection control valves, OR unhook the control valve solenoid wiring. Otherwise your intake manifold will experience a vacuum leak....

If you remove the two exhaust air injection control valves and their respective flex pipes, then you have to cap the exhaust SAI stud pipes sticking out of the heads.......easy to do with metal disc inserted into the flex pipe nut....(you have to remove the flex pipes from the nuts, or find a nut the fits)

For emission checks, no SES light is not the end of it. Depending which state, they may check VIN number 'listed' as SAI as physically matching to the SAI system...

and because I have a matched set of non-SAI ECU/BCU/Keys/gauge cluster......I was considering SAI complete delete in my non emission check county....but the non SAI disco's are a bit different and not worth the effort to me.....it's not just an easy ECU reprogramming...since that can't be done easily. And then I have have to have SAI working if selling out of state....

from discoweb (edited by me):

"To convert SAI to NON SAI, you will need the following non-LEV parts:

CVS unit
Vent line
Evap Canister
One-way valve
Fuel Pump with pressure senson

You will then need to do a bit of wiring. You can find what pins do what in the RAVE wiring diagrams. You will need to take the LEV pump lead and run it to the new CVS unit (same pin/plug). I didn't look too deeply, but according to the wiring diagrams the wiring is already there at splice A27. You will then need to run your wires to the Fuel Pump pressure sensor (there are 3 wires, I don't know if the wires are there already, or if you will need to run them). Once this is done, you can plug in your matched set of non-LEV ECU/BCS/SLABS and run it up. If cluster mileage is lower or higher than ECU, system will match to the highest mileage."

and one more thing, you 'should' have a nanocom to help you put all the electronics together. Without this, or a Testbook (now T4H), you will be wasting your time...

Last edited by XRAD; 01-03-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I have removed every bit of it on a couple. There are a couple extensions on either side that connect the tubes to the heads. Those can be welded shut and threaded back into the heads and you won't even have the tubes to worry about. No other change is necessary so long as you don't mind the CEL being illuminated, which if you've unplugged the SAI pump I presume is already the case.