Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santa brought some codes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW , doing some research I saw that DiscoMike liked the Bosch Platinum 4....almost the same money than the Platinum2...
still leaning towards the 7070s...but just curious now

Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Okay. I'd just do plugs (Champion 7070s) and wires (STI preferably, but I know you have others on order) and see what that does.

The following users liked this post:
RawFaith (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

The downfall with the plus 4 Bosch are they can get carbon build up since they have preset gaps and close tolerances and we all know how rich these engines run. Hell anybody that has done a head gasket job has seen the carbon build up first hand. Some people swear by them but I personally use the stock recommended champions or iridium ngk. I like that if it seems like one might not be firing right, I can remove it and clean it up and you really can't do that with the plus 4

RawFaith (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mln01
Okay. I'd just do plugs (Champion 7070s) and wires (STI preferably, but I know you have others on order) and see what that does.
Well I have to admit that I paid more than I wanted for the wires, and I wish I got your post before I ordered the Magnecor 8.5.
Will try this wires and plugs before trying the coils...I was looking at it today and it seems like a pain to get my hands there, any tools or advice on that?

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
The downfall with the plus 4 Bosch are they can get carbon build up since they have preset gaps and close tolerances and we all know how rich these engines run. Hell anybody that has done a head gasket job has seen the carbon build up first hand. Some people swear by them but I personally use the stock recommended champions or iridium ngk. I like that if it seems like one might not be firing right, I can remove it and clean it up and you really can't do that with the plus 4
I was thinking about the cleaning and gaps but never thought about the carbon, so I believe I will stick to 7070s

Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Now, I also have a set of military battery terminals to install. Saw some corrosion on the terminals and got the M & S green lights flashing before, and after cleaning the terminals it went away.
Also thin its time for a new battery, so what are you guys running? My research brought the group 34. Yes will love an optima battery but don't have $200+ for a battery.
Totally open to suggestions...BTW I had been thinking about the dual battery option...

Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Let me know how those batter terminals work. I've debated on the Atlantic British positive lead kit they make. The rest of my harness is fine(just gonna redo the loom cover where it's brittle from age. I've got an interstate "blemish" in mine. Hell the stamp was crooked and it made it only $60 with the regular interstate warranty. If you have an actual interstate battery shop, check their website, I would go that roughy if you want a dependable one till you can get the optima's. I plan to do the dual battery set up after I get the winch and front bumper and will shell out the cash for the optima' s then

RawFaith (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 02:22 AM
Pro Wrench

It's a pia to get to the coils without taking the upper intake manifold housing off. If you don't wanna make up new curse words, I'd order a new upper intake gasket and take it off and go that route. It can be done without taking it off with a long enough extension with a wobble on it but make sure u have a socket that has the magnet built in to keep it and it's a pia to get the connectors on and off each side of the coil without removing in but with a long screwdriver I can do it. I choose the $10 gasket route personally

Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 AM
Pro Wrench

This might sound weird as hell but every 3rd oil change, I take the battery cables off and clean them but at least once a month I pour coke on the terminals. Something about coke brand coke eats at the acid and then after a few minutes rinse it off so I don't attract ants

RawFaith (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

It's a pia to get to the coils without taking the upper intake manifold housing off. If you don't wanna make up new curse words, I'd order a new upper intake gasket and take it off and go that route. It can be done without taking it off with a long enough extension with a wobble on it but make sure u have a socket that has the magnet built in to keep it and it's a pia to get the connectors on and off each side of the coil without removing in but with a long screwdriver I can do it. I choose the $10 gasket route personally
Actually I will be trying replacing the wires and plugs first, and if that doesn't take care of it then we will go to the coils, most likely by removing the intake manifold and been there doing valve cover gaskets...

This might sound weird as hell but every 3rd oil change, I take the battery cables off and clean them but at least once a month I pour coke on the terminals. Something about coke brand coke eats at the acid and then after a few minutes rinse it off so I don't attract ants
It doesn't sound that weird about the coke capabilities on "dissolving things", back on high school we place a teeth on a glass full of coke and in 2 weeks it was gone!
Now the weird part is that we drink it!!!!!

Old 12-31-2016, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea but the bad part is there isn't enough room to get you hand back there to remove the wire of the coil pack. You have to get the coil pack either way to replace the plug wires.

Quick Reply: Santa brought some codes...