Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC for DII.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC for DII.

I had posted a thread about my motor making a knock type noise when cold, neways i got to probing with a stethescope and still have no idea whats causing it. id throw lifters in it if i wasnt in school for the next yr but in the mean time... Ive seem it in a few DI's and older RR's but have anyone seen an SBC transplant in a DII. I have really awesome access to most of the major parts, a few blocks, 700r's and a variety of t-cases to choose from.And its waaaaay cheaper than a 318 for parts and rebuild stuff, plus a rover with power!! I always wanted to do it a DI, but if this truck accumulates a hole through the block from this noise thats the route ill prob take. So anyone attempt this yet?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SBC for DII.

I believe that I read about someone doing that in the modification section. If you properly build a SBC it could be a good engine in the Rover. The 700r4 is a piece of junk, stay away from it. It was ok behind a V6, a 350 destroyed it. The 4L80 is the best auto GM ever put behind the 350.

Most SBCs are built to make power so far up in the RPM band that they would be worthless in a Rover. A Rover is more at home going slow over tough terrain than blazing down the highway. If you live where they have emissions testing the SBC wills till have to meet the same emissions level as the stock Rover. You'll need an engine from the same year or newer as your vehicle. Most states that I am aware will not even look at a vehicle that has an engine older than the vehicle itself.

Overall, I think you'll end up spending more to do a SBC swap than repairing the factory engine. As long as your ticking sound isn't a connecting rod the engine will run forever without a problem. I lifter that has lost prime is no big deal.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Mudding

Well i wasnt talking about a roller motor with AFR's on top, just a rebuild with a modestly low end cam. 4L80E's, turbo350-400 would be easy as well to get a hold of. I think i was more curious about how the diff's would handle more torque. truck has been paid for and havent had a project in a while

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling

The same thoughts ran through my brainin the last year. I also considered 302 ford and imported Rover diesels. The problems I have read about with the American V8s in the rover are electricals,weight, torque, andgearing.

Now, the electricals could probably be gotten around with a carborated engine with basic electricals (or independent FI, say from Holley). Otherwise, marrying wiring harnesses could be a beast - unless you enjoy those puzzles.

The SBC is most likely going to be heavier and make your Rover more front end-heavy - especially if it is an iron block. This will require heavier duty springs up front from what I have discovered.

The axles, as I understand, won't take the torque most healthy SBCs and Fords would most likely put out. This would require beefier axles.

With the SBC intended to run at higher RPMs, lower gears will be likely.

I am all for this idea, if someone makes it work! These are just the pieces of info I have found in my research, so far.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Do a search on this forum for Discovery engine swap - or some variation. I found some pretty good info/comments on here.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Mudding

Rite on!