Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ScanGaugeII Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ScanGaugeII Installation

I wanted to share how I ended up installing my ScanGaugeII for those of you that either have (and love) one, or are thinking about getting one. I can't vouch for this little gadget enough! The real-time data it provides gives me a comfort beyond what the standard Disco gauges offer me. I choose to watch MPG as one of my primary gauges (you have many to choose from) because it challenges me to modify the way I drive and squeeze out the MPGs. If you don't have one, check out all the great info on it at the manufacturer's website. Oh yeah, it's an OBDII code reader too! Peace of mind...

Here are a handful of pictures of how I installed it. The location is along the edge of the headliner near the driver's A-pillar. If you have any specific questions, or would like to see additional pictures, just ask.

Here is the ScanGaugeII mounted to a couple of brackets I made out of aluminum that just clip into the headliner. The ScanGaugeII holds to the brackets with Velcro.

Here's what the ScanGaugeII looks like from the outside of the vehicle with the custom brackets. Yes, they are a little crooked, but they work! I just wrapped them in black electrical tape to help them blend in with the gadget. The brackets are curved to conform to the contour of the headliner so as not to stress it (sorry, I didn't take any pics of the brackets...but I can). The cable is routed up into the headliner and down behind the A-pillar interior trim for a stock look.

Here's the cable coming down from behind the driver's side of the dash and along the bottom to the OBDII port. It is held into place by black self-adhesive zip-tie mounts I found at my local hardware store.

Another picture of the ScanGaugeII cable under the dash. The zip-tie mounts provide for a very clean, simple, and safe installation.

Here's a picture of the ScanGaugeII at dusk. I wanted to show you this one because, although hard to tell here, the color of the backlight matches the other greens on the radio and instrument gauge perfectly. If you want to go with something else, you can choose from another 6 default colors or customize one of your own. You can also adjust brightness, which is nice.

I drove around for a week or so with the ScanGaugeII just perched on the dash while I tried to figure out the most effective placement for it. I wanted it to be just a glance away, and this location along the headliner is unobtrusive, but very easy to find while driving. I am very pleased!

If you don't have a ScanGaugeII, go get one! You will love it (and they don't pay me to say that).

Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

nice write up, it's been on my "list" for quite a while. I would never have thought to mount it there, but that looks like maybe a good spot.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice install and results.
Interesting placement on the upper left, I like it.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love a scangauge but it seems whenever I have an extra few bucks a tree falls on my truck or a hub fails or... One of these days...

Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Three Wheeling

The ScanGauge is great. Mine is velcroed to the steering column. Doesn't block anything and it is already part of my normal "scan". Matches the green perfectly.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Wolkesan
The ScanGauge is great. Mine is velcroed to the steering column. Doesn't block anything and it is already part of my normal "scan". Matches the green perfectly.
Steering column would be my favorite location. Real time data is great for the paranoid like myself

Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gowest
Steering column would be my favorite location. Real time data is great for the paranoid like myself
Exactly

Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I would love a scangauge but it seems whenever I have an extra few bucks a tree falls on my truck or a hub fails or... One of these days...

think i just pissed myself laughing

Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
think i just pissed myself laughing
I hate it when a tree falls on your truck..

Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Ya, it was a toss-up between Josh's location and where I ended up putting it. Not quite a "heads-up" display, but I find the placement very convenient (especially when flipping through gauges at a stoplight). I will admit it...it was Josh's info that convinced me I needed one.

Haha. I feel your pain (minus tree). I justified this as a "tool"...and it suits my paranoia just fine!