Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ScreamingLife's OM617 Swap Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
WOW! Someone is actually following through w/ a build dream! Nice work. Keep feeding us updates, we're hungry.
One thing [from my time in the military] I've learned is that talk is cheap and you build most of your reputation on your actions and very little on what you say.

I have some good news: I got some parts in today! I received a set of TerraFirma HD Coils, extended brake lines, TerraFirma front shock tower (to facilitate some remote reservoir shocks in the future), Transmission filter kit, and a few other do-dads.

I expect the oil cooler, remote oil filter and the adapter to arrive by friday so we can start setting that up. The dual oil filter set up we ordered will use the same oil filter size (at the threads at least) as the Rover, so my stockpile of oil filters should still work!

The intercooler we are still sizing up (possibly going to have to make/order a custom size. We are thinking about putting behind the ARB bumper and adding a front skid plate to the bumper so that flotsam and jetsam [if you want to get nautical!] won't get into the intercooler.

We are also looking into where we can put the water/methanol kit. Right now we are thinking about putting it where the battery is, and moving the battery to the driver's side storage compartment in the back. We would create a false bottom and run lines to the engine compartment, but we still need to work out some kinks and we'd like to keep at least one of the batteries in the engine compartment.

The bad: I laid down my bike tuesday night, so I'm hurting a bit and my [only] mode of transportation is OOC for a few days, so aside from getting rides or trying to bicycle out to the shop I won't be able to make any significant progress for at least a few days.

Anyways, thanks to all again for the interested, I promise some good pictures soon!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welding cable makes a fine remote battery wire. Sold by the foot by welding supply stores, very flexible.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

back in the day that was all we had to use.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

and a short piece makes a workable black jack...

Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! My DD is a Cummins Ram - big fan... Good Luck!!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Welding cable makes a fine remote battery wire. Sold by the foot by welding supply stores, very flexible.
Yeah that could be a good option for the cables. Thank you very much.

The only other thing I could think of is the addition of a vent line. Don't know quite where I'd route it, or if I really need it.

Originally Posted by DuxIron
Subscribed! My DD is a Cummins Ram - big fan... Good Luck!!
A coworker of mine has a Ram 3500 Dually with the 6BT and its a fantastic vehicle. I would have never given it the time of day having grown up a Ford person, but it is a seriously nice vehicle.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling

The huge deliveries have died down and now I'm just getting a few packages trickling in every couple days. Last night this came in:

Name:  1244529_10201807709615284_1568486996_o_zps73cbd65a.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  60.2 KB

Its pretty beefy! The lines are 4500 PSI spec, which made me laugh because when I worked on a submarine I think we only used 2500 PSI spec lines for the diesel on board. Felt like a bit of an overkill. I'm waiting for the oil filter adapter plate to come in.

I'll have some pictures of the car hopefully on monday when I can get back out there.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great stuff! Can't wait to see the end result!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stoked. Boner...?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Anyone who has interest in this threads topic may be interested in this D2 that popped up on Ebay.

Land Rover : Discovery Series II Sport Utility 4-Door in Land Rover | eBay Motors

Quick Reply: ScreamingLife's OM617 Swap Build Thread.