Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ScreamingLife's OM617 Swap Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm sending him some shiny things that'll get there Wednesday...

Old 11-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

What do your thongs have to do with the engine swap?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Bill, you're supposed to be a moderator on here, not a sexual predator

Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I can do both very successfully thank you very much

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-11-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PLOWER99
Hope all is well but anxiously awaiting any updates!
I am still working on the swap. We had to get some custom stuff done up off island and should be getting shipped soon (we were promised to have it in hand by the end of this week, so we will see). This included: Adapter plate, V8 Torque converter rebuilt to correct stall speeds for the OM617, Correct transmission governor, and Adapter hub and plate for OM617 to hold torque converter. So we are just a few steps away from being complete. Engine mounts are "tentatively" made up, the engine side mounts and vibration dampers, but obviously we need to wait until we see where the engine sits before we progress with that. We have the oil pan modified, as well as the suspension to compensate for the lower hanging oil pan. We have extended bumpstops, as well as new TF HD springs, 1.5 inch spacers to help compensate for the weight.

As for the engine itself, we have decided to keep the stock Garrett T3/T4 Turbo for the time being. However down the line I do plan on getting a VGT/VNT Turbo so I can have boost off the bat so I don't have to deal with the lag. We also are in the works of getting our hands on a "superpump" fuel injection pump from DieselMeken. Should help with the power.

And as Zack said we have a few more goodies coming our way, and we are upgrading a few things that probably would have needed upgrading anyways. New rotors and pads, probably new gears and lockers, some new [bigger] tires, new brake and abs lines and so on. Once this thing comes back out to roam the streets it will be a whole new beast.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I can do both very successfully thank you very much
"why don't you take a seat?"

Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update! Would be great if you can make a list of things to do and what the costs are. I am excited to see your success and see this beast! I have the same dream but am curious to see the out come.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ScreamingLife
"why don't you take a seat?"

Don't get it...

Glad to see this coming along though rather than how most of these end up. Keep pushing forward

Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Don't get it...

Glad to see this coming along though rather than how most of these end up. Keep pushing forward
Haha Bill, if you got it you'd find it hilarious...

To Catch a Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Don't get it...

If you knew me in real life you would know that when I put my mind to something, I get it done. Not bragging, just I don't say I'm doing something and not follow through. And like Zack said, if you knew who Chris Hansen was (and not the former NFL Punter) you probably would have rolled your eyes and laughed.

Originally Posted by PLOWER99
Thanks for the update! Would be great if you can make a list of things to do and what the costs are. I am excited to see your success and see this beast! I have the same dream but am curious to see the out come.
No problem, I had been meaning to do an update but I've been super busy. From working overtime during the government shutdown to helping my friend pull out, rebuilt and put back in his 240SX engine in a 4 day weekend, its been rough lately. Once complete I'll write up a review of the vehicle and a round down of the costs. So far I know a few others have done something similar, including a person who put a Hummer V8 Diesel in a P38 Range Rover. So thinking this is something that is doable is not out of the question. I find a lot of Rover fans being scared of swaps and wild things more than saw Jeep or Toyota fans.

Apologies for any possible misspelled words or sentences that don't make sense. I just got back from a night out celebrating the life of a good friend the way he would have wanted, with lots and lots of whiskey and shuffleboard.

Quick Reply: ScreamingLife's OM617 Swap Build Thread.