Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaFoam

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the history lesson lipadj. As usual on this forum when people make assumptions they are totally wrong. Just because walmart and part stores stock it does not mean I am going to jam a can of it down my intake. All I know about this product is what I have read about it on THIS forum. Countless accounts of this stuff throwing codes and causing other problems, some catastrophic. Along with the problems there are just as many suggestions on how to apply it. I remember a while ago someone followed a sticky or post on how to and how much of this stuff to use. I believe it cost the guy an engine and the 'how to" post was quickly taken down/edited.

It is just another opinion, when I see a dirty intake I just spray a tiny bit of carb cleaner down the intake. My point is that how much gunk is in these motors is anyones guess and pouring seafoam down the intake with my fingers crossed isn't the way I would handle it.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
m I am guessing you have not been into DIY engine maintenance because in engine repair (small and large) seafoam is well known and is available in any auto parts store and walmart I've ever been in.
And I saw this on one of your other posts:

"I really took my time because before this I had no clue as far as engine work went."

Later

Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Use the whole can....JUST ADD IT SLOWLY, 5 minutes minimum for the whole can. Give it a shot, for $8 you don't have much to lose, unless you do it wrong, then you might lose your engine

I think I will save my eight dollars,and my engine and whatever else and aggravation and forego the SeaFoam unless I see a need for it later on.

I may try some of that Lucas Oil Additive if it still has the occasional tap/rattle/tick noise after the next oil change.. The Gunk oil flush did bring a lot of black out on the last oil change. I'll see what the next draining looks like before I do anything else..........

Don't want to offend the Rover Gods and get struck down.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I think I will save my eight dollars,and my engine and whatever else and aggravation and forego the SeaFoam unless I see a need for it later on.

I may try some of that Lucas Oil Additive if it still has the occasional tap/rattle/tick noise after the next oil change.. The Gunk oil flush did bring a lot of black out on the last oil change. I'll see what the next draining looks like before I do anything else..........

Don't want to offend the Rover Gods and get struck down.
Personally, I would just use diesel oil, it is highly detergent and will slowly clean your engine as you drive.
I have never done a engine flush on my truck, just used diesel oil, then switched to full syn and now I am back to and will stay with diesel oil.
My truck does not leak, it does not tick or rattle.
I use Shell Rotella and NAPA oil filters, change it every 5,000 miles and forget about it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I may try some of that Lucas Oil Additive if it still has the occasional tap/rattle/tick noise after the next oil change..
Do you even know what that stuff is? Nothing but an oil thickener, bright stock bottom of the barrel stuff not even any additives. So you are diluting you oil with thick goo. Used on dying cars to sell to a sucker or to hobble along until a better bar can be bought. Use nothing but a good oil of proper viscosity and you will be fine.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spikes, thanks for your perspective. I already bought Castrol Extended for the upcoming change, but will try the diesel oil you recommended on the following change.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Personally, I would just use diesel oil, it is highly detergent and will slowly clean your engine as you drive.
I have never done a engine flush on my truck, just used diesel oil, then switched to full syn and now I am back to and will stay with diesel oil.
My truck does not leak, it does not tick or rattle.
I use Shell Rotella and NAPA oil filters, change it every 5,000 miles and forget about it.
What weight do you use Spike?