Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing the center console plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sealing the center console plate

Hey everyone,
A couple weeks ago I put in a CDL linkage. I have two questions. When I remounted the plate, I actually put the plate on top and screwed it down into the chassis instead of the plate being under. I didn't really see any reason this would be bad, but any input?

Also, this might be because of the way I reattached the plate, but it is quite a bit nosier now. I used RTV sealant around the plate. My question is, is there anything else that can be done to dampen the noise a little bit? I know that on top of the plate there is a rubber gasket thingy that seems like it was meant to dampen sound and be more water tight.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, but from your description it sounds like you attached to the body, a part that should be attached to the transfer case. If this is true it will probably be transmitting more vibration into the boy of the truck and that's why it is louder. Pictures would help explain a little better.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mossmanxjt
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, but from your description it sounds like you attached to the body, a part that should be attached to the transfer case. If this is true it will probably be transmitting more vibration into the boy of the truck and that's why it is louder. Pictures would help explain a little better.
Ya sorry it's hard to explain. There is a plate which the shifters attach to which is riveted to the body. To get it off you need to drill out the rivets. The plate attaches to the body from the bottom. When I reattached mine, I put it on top and used sheet metal screws to attach it to the body. The plate is not mounted to the t-case at all. Just wondering if anyone has had any great ideas for sealing it a little better. And part of my problem might be that I mounted the plate opposite of what it was originally.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Hey everyone,
A couple weeks ago I put in a CDL linkage. I have two questions. When I remounted the plate, I actually put the plate on top and screwed it down into the chassis instead of the plate being under. I didn't really see any reason this would be bad, but any input?

Also, this might be because of the way I reattached the plate, but it is quite a bit nosier now. I used RTV sealant around the plate. My question is, is there anything else that can be done to dampen the noise a little bit? I know that on top of the plate there is a rubber gasket thingy that seems like it was meant to dampen sound and be more water tight.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I do not see any problems w/ the way you sealed it up. I also experienced a bit more road noise after re-sealing every thing all up after my cdl install. I did it the same way as you w/ the screws instead a rivets. I went a step further than you, along with the factory "rubber gasket thingy", I purchased a rubber boot from an auto parts store, the ones used for a manual trans floor shifters and installed it under the plate in an attempt to create a better seal. This might be ghetto, but I also packed insulation underneath the leather gaiter boot and it seemed to work quite well.

Last edited by coors; 11-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by coors
I do not see any problems w/ the way you sealed it up. I also noticed a bit more road noise after re-sealing every thing all up. I did it the same way as you w/ the screws instead a rivets. I went a step further than you, along with the factory "rubber gasket thingy", I purchased a rubber boot from an auto parts store, the ones used for a manual trans floor shifters and installed it under the plate in an attempt to create a better seal. This might be ghetto, but I also packed insulation underneath the leather gaiter boot and it seemed to work quite well.
Great idea. I will try that. When you reattached the plate, did you reattach it from the bottom? I wasn't sure how I could keep the plate in place while I drilled the screws into it, so I just threw it on top.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

Also if your careful you could apply a layer of expanda foam around the edge of the plate and the for the cut out for the shift lever to move side to side coors had a great idea. But you could take a little piece of the foam insulation and pull the plate up pinch it between the plate and the shifter leaving a slit to still allow the movement to shift.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Great idea. I will try that. When you reattached the plate, did you reattach it from the bottom? I wasn't sure how I could keep the plate in place while I drilled the screws into it, so I just threw it on top.
Nope. I installed on top of the plate, just like you.