Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing SAI Ports (one head SAI, one not)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sealing SAI Ports (one head SAI, one not)

Hello all. This is my first post here. I've been reading around the forum for about a month and a half now as I look to get a Disco II in the very near future.

I found one I like, and had a PPI done by an Indy Shop. It needs brakes, some suspension bits, etc. Nothing too crazy. However, it has one SAI head, and one non-SAI head. The owner has had all maintenance done at dealers and indy shops for the past several years, and it's got a great service history. Apparently either the shop that rebuilt the motor in 2012, or the LR dealer who installed new HG's in September, put an SAI head on the right bank and a non-SAI head on the left bank. Based on what I can tell from the pictures, the truck never had SAI (no pump on the firewall.) The owner doesn't know. These faults also came up, which the indy shop thought might have to do with the SAI ports being open on the right head:
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptation Bank 1
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptation Bank 2
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptive Correction Bank 1
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptive Correction Bank 2

Anyway. So on to the questions.

1. Is there a way, other than seeing the SAI pump, whether this truck had SAI in the past and it was at one point removed? Can the ECU tell me, or some other sticker for emissions somewhere?

2. If there was no SAI, I think plugging the ports on the right head would be fine. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good write-up on that? I read several threads about people doing it, but no actual write-up. It seems the plug size needed is not a normal size, and some people have even used JB weld and other stuff. I'd like to do this job without removing the head if possible since it just had new HG put on.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Glad to be here!

Old 10-12-2017, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by attworth
Hello all. This is my first post here. I've been reading around the forum for about a month and a half now as I look to get a Disco II in the very near future.

I found one I like, and had a PPI done by an Indy Shop. It needs brakes, some suspension bits, etc. Nothing too crazy. However, it has one SAI head, and one non-SAI head. The owner has had all maintenance done at dealers and indy shops for the past several years, and it's got a great service history. Apparently either the shop that rebuilt the motor in 2012, or the LR dealer who installed new HG's in September, put an SAI head on the right bank and a non-SAI head on the left bank. Based on what I can tell from the pictures, the truck never had SAI (no pump on the firewall.) The owner doesn't know. These faults also came up, which the indy shop thought might have to do with the SAI ports being open on the right head:
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptation Bank 1
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptation Bank 2
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptive Correction Bank 1
= Air/Fuel Mixture Adaptive Correction Bank 2

Anyway. So on to the questions.

1. Is there a way, other than seeing the SAI pump, whether this truck had SAI in the past and it was at one point removed? Can the ECU tell me, or some other sticker for emissions somewhere?

2. If there was no SAI, I think plugging the ports on the right head would be fine. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good write-up on that? I read several threads about people doing it, but no actual write-up. It seems the plug size needed is not a normal size, and some people have even used JB weld and other stuff. I'd like to do this job without removing the head if possible since it just had new HG put on.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Glad to be here!
You can probably plug those 2 holes or get the right threaded bolt if theres one to match them. Yes, I read that people remove the SAI but I have no idea whats the effect doing that. Mine has. There are plenty components in the SAI system, pump tubes and vacuum hoses, etc. I wonder how it works without during emissions time upon inspection.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
You can probably plug those 2 holes or get the right threaded bolt if theres one to match them. Yes, I read that people remove the SAI but I have no idea whats the effect doing that. Mine has. There are plenty components in the SAI system, pump tubes and vacuum hoses, etc. I wonder how it works without during emissions time upon inspection.
It should be fine during inspection, as the truck didn't have SAI to begin with as far as I can tell. I would think an SAI specific code would've been thrown if the ECU didn't detect the system at all (since there's no pump, plumbing, etc.) I'm not sure though.

Last edited by attworth; 10-12-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Look for a wiring harness connector on the drivers side toward the firewall above the drivers side intake manifold. Unless the whole harness was also swapped out there would be a connector that would plug into the SAI solenoid (which would be mounted just to the drivers side of the idle air control valve). I would also expect codes like P1412 and P1415 that would indicate that circuit isn't connected or shorted.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Wasn't the sai only on 03 and 04??

Old 10-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Wasn't the sai only on 03 and 04??
If that's the case, this one definitely didn't have SAI, as it's a 2000.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Yes, there is an SAI specific code if it doesn't detect the SAI pump. I deleted mine cause it was a pain in the rear to work around, and because I already had a constant code from deleting my AC so the codetdidn't really matter.

When I removed mine I left the SAI plugs in the heads and just welded the ends shut. If you have the plugs then any shop should be able to do that pretty easily for you. It literally took me like 10 minutes.

If you don't have the plugs I can take one out next time I'm near Fastenal and get them to tell me what size it is. Then you could pick up a couple. That will be a few days at least though.

Here's a picture of mine welded.

Name:  Q2ETRcyr.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  303.1 KB

Old 10-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Yes, there is an SAI specific code if it doesn't detect the SAI pump. I deleted mine cause it was a pain in the rear to work around, and because I already had a constant code from deleting my AC so the codetdidn't really matter.

When I removed mine I left the SAI plugs in the heads and just welded the ends shut. If you have the plugs then any shop should be able to do that pretty easily for you. It literally took me like 10 minutes.

If you don't have the plugs I can take one out next time I'm near Fastenal and get them to tell me what size it is. Then you could pick up a couple. That will be a few days at least though.

Here's a picture of mine welded.
That would be very helpful. The shop said there's nothing in the holes, it's just wide open to the atmosphere.

Are these sealed with anything to prevent air leaking, like a gasket or spray of some sort?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I just happened to run across my micrometer and an extra plug in my toolbox. You're in luck!

They appear to be an M16x1.00 fastener. Odd size for sure; probably have to order it. The threads are only 12mm long, but there's a tapered end. Fastener length from the tapered end to end of threads is 16mm. Here's a picture of it removed for reference.

Name:  AVtYthGr.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  559.9 KB

There is no gasket or sealant. The tapered end seals it. That said, I'd bet you'll have trouble finding one with a tapered end. No worries there. I'd get two M16x1.00 20mm or 25mm length bolts and just stick them in with some thread sealant and that should work just fine.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Mudding

Alex, much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Sealing SAI Ports (one head SAI, one not)